Balsam Lake

Stoty

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if you are allowed to ice fish (walleye/perch/crappie) on Balsam.

I just looked up the regs, and didnt see anything that said you couldnt, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, what are the ice conditions like?

Thanks for any help!

*Stoty

Basically, I am looking for the closest (decent fishing) lake that I can ice fish on.

I havent had time to get out this year, but might be able to get out next weekend.

I am looking for something that is around 1-1 1/2 hrs from the GTA.

Note - Not going to the BOQ, dont trust the ice that far south.

BOQ is building some nice ice. scugog has lots of ice but the bite is slowing down. simcoe is building good ice in the deep water some hut operators putting out trout huts this weekend. just be sure to call and ask ice conditions or check yourself!!

Scugog has lots of ice ... and put the Jiffy to work, but the bite is slow. Looks like larger groups are fishing the basins. Bancroft/Haliburton area ... if you make the trip you can find some smaller lake gems up there with little to nobody fishing.

Good luck!

Balsam, Sturgeon, Scugog (and many others )are part of the new Zone 17 and there is no ice fishing, the exception being Scugog. Check the regs for lakes outside of zone 17 and you'll find lots of spots that are open within the 1-1.5 hours you are looking for.