Muskie reel question

mistaredone

I know this is a very simulair question to the last one but I have narrowed down my search and just need some assurence before i pull the trigger. The 6501 C3 seems to be well backed at a great price and is probably my #1 choice right now. I had a Shimano Cardiff 401-A in my hand today and felt nice at around the same price point 50/50. The real that makes me want to spend more money is the Abu Garcia Record RCN60 . Is it worth the extra 50-60 bucks or am i just getting up sold?

The Abu Record is talked about a fair bit on some of the American musky boards and it seems most of the guys that have tried them have not been very satisfied with them at all.

I have no 1st hand experience with the Record myself, but it doesn't sound like too many are happy with it.

I've heard some dissapointing things about the Record as well. If you're willing to go into that price range try looking at the Chrome Rocket. I picked up one for 135 (usd) when I got down here. With the Canadian dollar trading so well I'm sure you can find an even better deal on Flea-bay or somewhere else on line. I mostly use it to launch 2-4 ounce plugs from the surf and it's just great! Smooth as silk and the drag is amazing as well. I was yanking in 15-20 lb bluefish in with no problems what so ever. I'm not a big fan of the cardiff at all. I don't like the braking system that shimano uses, especially with having to dissasemble the whole thing just to get to them, but that's just me.

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

I like Shimano products but if you're after muskie, IMO you'd be better off with the 6501 C3. The Cardiff won't cut it and the record is having problems. The Cardiff and the Record are both decent reels but not for what you want to do with it. Again, I'm no expert but it's my opinion.

edit: In fact, for that price range, I'd be tempted to ask you to take a look at the Pete Maina reel.

I'd have to agree with the wise one, Roy. I don't think the cardiff would stand up to the abuse over time. Too many plastic innards. The 6500s have been around much longer than I have and have stood the test of time.

Edited by Raf

It totaly depends what your aproch is, are you casting or trolling with it? The problen with musky fishing is that the reel has no problem handeling the fish, its the baits that the reels cant handle, If you learning to cast theres not to many reels that wont blow up on you with musky baits. The Abu 6500 has been around for a while they are built tough and can handle the big baits as long as youy dont back lash, I watched a buddy of mine blow up three of them in two days, the abu 7000 are great for trolling they can handle any bait and any fish.

If you want to spend a bit more money buy the Curodo DVS 300 these babies are awesome, they were built for musky and can handel any bait you put on them, they came out last year, and can take a beating, you can pick them up for under $3oo bucks, but shop around you might even find them cheaper the that. Shimano makes great products, but again alot of back lash will kill any reel. My advise is learn the casting big bait thing with a cheaper reel and then buy a decent one.

Paul

Well I watched three reels blow up without on fish on them so no drag was pulled, its the heavy baits, and backlash that kills a reel. My trolling reels have been going for years with drag going all the time and there doing fine. Ive also heard of guys blowing up $500 reels casting. So from what I've seen and heard of its the big baits, and backlash.

I hit LBS on the way home from work yesterday and as we all know now there are none of Petes reals there. Like a kid in a candy store I could not resist and picked up the C3 6501 and with all the money I saved I grabed a bunch of bucktails, bull dawgs and crank baits. :clapping: Now the waiting game begins.

mistaredone, you'll be happy with the C3, it's a decent reel that will work well for a long time.

It's sorta like an old Chevy, nuthin fancy but very tough & dependible ;)

If you learning to cast theres not to many reels that wont blow up on you with musky baits.

The Abu 6500 has been around for a while they are built tough and can handle the big baits as long as youy dont back lash, I watched a buddy of mine blow up three of them in two days,

PAZE, I'm just curious as to what you mean when you keep referring to all these reels "blowing up" when your friends get backlashes ??

I've seen some pretty nasty backlashes over the years while folks are casting musky baits..... including my own share.....but I've never seen them do any damage to a reel.

As I say, I'm not doubting you for a minute, just curious as to what the actual damage was :dunno:

I am glad I have the 7000 BG she has held up great throught my back lashed right Lew.

last fall I bought 3 great white reels from Caballas I bought one and tried it love it then bought 2 more I did not get anything casting with them but they hold the big baits great no matter if I was tossing bucktails or big heavy jerk baits I will find out just how great they are this season coming. They are made for salt water and big fish in the surf I feel they will be good this year.

The Abu 6500 has been around for a while they are built tough and can handle the big baits as long as youy dont back lash, I watched a buddy of mine blow up three of them in two days, the abu 7000 are great for trolling they can handle any bait and any fish.

Paul

That's crazy. I can't imagine the C3's are any more likely to break or "blow up" than any other reel when casting extremely large baits and backlashing. And who breaks 3 reels in two days!? One, ok sure, but you'd think you'd be a little more careful after that and by the time you broke the second one it might occur to you your doing something drastically wrong. But 3!! It's fortunate your buddy takes a crate of C3's with him when he goes fishing I guess. Were they factory seconds or something?

The Abu 6500 has been around for a while they are built tough and can handle the big baits as long as youy dont back lash, I watched a buddy of mine blow up three of them in two days, the abu 7000 are great for trolling they can handle any bait and any fish.

Paul

That's crazy. I can't imagine the C3's are any more likely to break or "blow up" than any other reel when casting extremely large baits and backlashing. And who breaks 3 reels in two days!? One, ok sure, but you'd think you'd be a little more careful after that and by the time you broke the second one it might occur to you your doing something drastically wrong. But 3!! It's fortunate your buddy takes a crate of C3's with him when he goes fishing I guess. Were they factory seconds or something?

Well I'm telling you what I seen with my own two eyes, he would be casting the bigger jerk baits and In mid cast he would get a backlash, the reel would just over rotate and that was it he could hold down the reel with the drag on all the way and the handle would keep on turning, all three abu c4's reels went the same way. I also seen it happen to a 400 callcutta TE, I could not beleive it, for the money you spend on those reels and it over rotated on the cast on a back lash, I might be crazy but I totaly beleive the backlash is what kills these reels, theres no give, with mono the line snaps, with 80-100 lbs braided line something has to give, and if those parts are plastic inside there going to stripe.

Mistaredone wrote: I could not resist and picked up the C3 6501

IMO you made a pretty good choice. I have a couple of 6500's and some other ABU's that are reaching 12 or so years old. They have never failed me.

Should you ever decide to "upgrade" the peformance of your reel (C3's are easy to work on), you can pick up some pretty neat parts at www.mikesreelrepair.com to make that C3 smoother and cast farther. Enjoy the reel and good fishing.