Eastern GTA walleye?

Toronto_Angler

Hey all,

Just wondering if there are any other places besides BOQ on Lake Ontario where you can fish for walleye on or near shore. I live near the pickering/oshawa/whitby area usually make my way to the Kawarthas area for Walleye opener and in the fall but was looking for some place closer to home to catch walleye when I don't have access to a boat or don't want to drive north since I live close to the Big O. Do other spots on Lake Ontario produce near shore or is it only BOQ?

Well, the Kawarthas aren't that far North and there are plenty of places to fish from shore. In fact I can usually do as well right off my dock in the fall as I can by going out in the boat. Talk to me again in the spring and I'll try to give you a couple of places you can fish from shore to help you out.

Well for walleye you do the niagra,or maybe frenchmans bay ,in pickering,but its been along time since i heard of a walleye being caught there its mostly pike,any other spots i know are just as far as going to the bay of quinte,..the grand river,but like i say you do have to do some driving to get to these spots,good-luck

about 10 years ago, we used to catch walleye at Toronto harbour, right beside Capt. John's seafood restaurant, at the foot of Yonge. havent done it since I bought the cottage and boat. Who knows, at the right time, they could still be in there. I believe it was late fall we were there.

I've picked off a few walleye over the past few years in and around toronto. 3-4 years back in Ashbridges bay in the fall I caught a 6-7 pounder. Doug (Lucid) and Jon ( from Fishin' Fury) also have picked a few up out on the Islands (By the school). There's also a deep part just off the spit where they were being caught quite frequently by some of the sharpies out there. (Old man Rick and crew) Nothing on a regular basis but they are out there! :)

Hit and miss is the name of shore walleye fishing for me. With salmon or trout, you know they stage, wait for rain and then run up river mouths and by piers. Even if you know that walleye frequent an area, you have to be out there religiously if you want to catch them. They are very hard to catch....one tip is to slow down your presentation a LOT. They are lethargic in the fall and will only strike lures moving slowly.

Bly and I have a few spots that we will not divulge, but to give you an idea, between the two of us, we may go out 20 times and maybe catch fish on five of those nights. Oh yeah...you have to fish them at night...they wont be anywhere near shore during the day.

Thanks guys for the help.

CCMT-> That's interesting I never knew that Walleye stage and run up rivers. DO they hit regular crankbaits at night or do you need something glowing?

That's not what I meant. I meant that it's easy to predict when salmon/trout are in the area because THEY stage and run. Walleye (do not run) are less predictible. They follow bait...and it's hard to predict when the bait fish will be in. The clearer the waters are the less likely walleye will venture too close to shore.

I've had luck with regular crankbaits...I'll PM you some more details.

That's not what I meant. I meant that it's easy to predict when salmon/trout are in the area because THEY stage and run. Walleye (do not run) are less predictible. They follow bait...and it's hard to predict when the bait fish will be in. The clearer the waters are the less likely walleye will venture too close to shore.

I've had luck with regular crankbaits...I'll PM you some more details.

\

Cool thanks!

Well for walleye you do the niagra,or maybe frenchmans bay ,in pickering,but its been along time since i heard of a walleye being caught there its mostly pike,any other spots i know are just as far as going to the bay of quinte,..the grand river,but like i say you do have to do some driving to get to these spots,good-luck

I've been fishin in Frenchman's Bay for over 20+ years and I've never seen anyone land a Pickerel there.

There used to be a good population of Eyes in that area. You could usually get them just a few hundred yards offshore from where the power plant resides, but that spot has since dried up. I've seen a ton caught there in the past, just never in the bay itself..

Shore fishin for walleye there isn't worth it, you'll just be wasting your time. You have to get in a boat and go outside the bay to have any success.

Nowadays Frenchman's bay is a hotspot for Pike, and believe it or not Freshwater Drum. This year there was some real monsters being caught in that area. Some of the biggest I've ever seen.

The Best spot for monster Pickeral from shore...........................................

Ican't believe I am going to post this but I enjoyed this fishery when Iwas land locked so I will share.

The West Pier at Port Dalhousie, late September until Mid November.........

Late at night, from 9AM until after Midnight, The channel is more prodctive then the very end or the lake side.

I have always had the best luck with glow in the dark deep diving crank baits, if the flow is really strog you will need to rig it up with a bottom bouncer as the fish relate to the rock pilings and old timber supports right on the bottom.

Also you will need to rig up some type of lure retrival device as the bottom is the key, however it is riddled with snags :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: .

The fish also need to be released as the big females are more often caught then the smaller males. It is not as good as BOQ but I have had many nightswith 5+ fish.

Also 10lb + is not uncommon.

Good luck,

PS the males seem to head up closer to the falls, the females seem to stage back in the area I described above.

I've been fishin in Frenchman's Bay for over 20+ years and I've never seen anyone land a Pickerel there.

There used to be a good population of Eyes in that area. You could usually get them just a few hundred yards offshore from where the power plant resides, but that spot has since dried up. I've seen a ton caught there in the past, just never in the bay itself..

Shore fishin for walleye there isn't worth it, you'll just be wasting your time. You have to get in a boat and go outside the bay to have any success.

There actually is a growing population of walleye in western L. Ontario.

Some are even caught in the channel where Frenchmans Bay empties into the lake,

but you have to fish at night and be there at the right time.

Here is one my buddy caught a year ago on a rattlin rap while going for browns off of Pickering

but you need a boat.

IMG_0002-2.jpg

Well done Ehg !!!! thats a real nice pickering bay/nuke walleye, :canadian::w00t: man we sure had some nice 10+ walleye catches some days,back when you could fish the warm water outflow from shore,before the whole world found out about it !!!!..and yes they still get them at various times of the year from a boat with december & january being the best times for us anyway.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: