Ice fishing in North Bay, ON

Maverick

Hey, I recently found this site and I must say, as an avid outdoors man, it is great. I recently moved to North Bay and was wondering where to go fishing this winter, for any species really. I know the obvious spot out where all the shacks are on Lake Nipissing but if anybody knows anywhere else on Lake Nipissing or within about 45 min drive and would like to share. I'm not asking for your secret holes though, haha, I know I wouldn't give mine away. Thanks

you're a lucky man to live in North Bay with so much fishing and hunting on your doorstep.

get to know the guys at Lefevres downtown (sp?) and Billy Bobs bait. A great investment would be a snowmobile or ATV as there are a ton of back lakes up Hwy 11 towards Temagami with nice speckles and of course a little farther north are the famous aurora trout lakes (check regs - special seasons)

most lakes up there have smallmouth which for some reason the locals treat like rock bass. Getting walleye lakes or spots will be like pulling teeth but there up there in good numbers too.

You're not too far from Lake Nosbonsing either - muskie

Much overlooked and under fished is Trout Lake and Lake Talon out off hwy 17 east.

Yeah, I think I am going to try Deepwater point on Lake Nipissing. I have a skidoo but it isnt running right now so I am limited to where I can fish. I will definitely be hitting up Lake Nobosing for muskie in the summer though. Now I was asking around and I heard that you aren't allowed to ice fish on Trout Lake. Is there any truth to that? I have searched the 08 fishing guide and it doesn't mention any special regulations about Trout Lake. Does anybody know anything about that?

Hiya Maverick. Welcome to the neighborhood. I am 20 miles south in Powassan. Yep, Deepwater point area is a good winter fishing ground. Not too sure about the regs on Trout lake. Not a trout fisherman but they have been trying to revive the trout fishery there. Over the last few years I think they may open it up for a couple days for Lakers.

P.S If you need someone to check out your Skidoo let me know. I think I know someone who can fix it.

People ice fished Trout Lake last winter but not sure if the new regs changed the rules. You definitely can't target lake trout in there but it also holds walleye and pike. 3 sisters islands area was good and there's a spot to walk out from that isn't far.

Deep Water Point was great to me for walleye last year. 30' small glow jig heads and a minnow just off bottom. Calandar was decent at first ice last year.

Am I reading the regs correctly for Trout Lake. The fact that lake trout and altlantic salmon are only open for 6days !? 3rd Saturday in June 'till the Friday before the 4th Saturday in June.

Also a bunch of the lake is a sanctuary from May 15th to July 31st.