home audio(nf)

kuhaman

I have a home audio system and Im looking for a new amplifier. Right now I have a yamaha amp but its gettin pretty old. Im lookin for a simple 2 channel amp(no fancy surround sound) that can put out some serious power to drive my big cerwin vegas. Any suggestions?

Thanks;

Mika

What's your price range.

For mid grade, I go nad.

top of line, If you can find it. Parrou.(spelling)

Bryston is very good stuff also.

I dont really wanna spend more than 1500 bucks so Im lookin for the most bang for the buck.

I have a home audio system and Im looking for a new amplifier. Right now I have a yamaha amp but its gettin pretty old. Im lookin for a simple 2 channel amp(no fancy surround sound) that can put out some serious power to drive my big cerwin vegas. Any suggestions?

Thanks;

Mika

What kind of power ( speakers) you have in mind ????

kuha, wattage is a factor yes... but a speaker can have 10000 watts...and sound like crap, it all depends on the amount of distortion. I would look for an Amp, with the highest line amperage per channel.. Then wattage alone...couple that with decent speaker wire and your all set.

I should add watts are commonly referred to because that is what people understand... generally the higher the wattage the Amplifier can put out the higher the amperage going to each speaker. But this is not always the case.. just read n read :)

Just my opinion.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, this could be a tough choice. Keram,I have a pair of cerwin vega e712's that are rated for about 300 watts per speaker.

Then do not go over 150 W per channel with amp ( about 50 %). Technics is the best in this range

There are few more variables in this. I do not know the specs ( even CV specs can be little bit out of wack ). if it is possible take a picture of your woofer (and post it ) in front and most important !!!!!!!!! from the back ( and I'm not talking about cabinet ( just a woofer itself).. Just from experience. 12" woofers can only give you about 25 W of power without distortion. On the other end, 8" can give you 150W without distortion ( I have them :thumbsup_anim: ). Bottom line is, I need to see what you have to give you an idea. If you really perfect sound "freek" :whistling: , and have some money to spend - buy vacuum tube amp.

Thanks again guys. G, the vega's have great sound and I really want an amp that can bring out the best in them. Keram,tube amps by far have the best sound but I dont know if I can get 1 for 1500$, who still makes em on a large scale?

Mika

Here is a great place to start for info:

AudioKarma.org

If you are looking for info on anything BUT BPC (black plastic crap) this is a great place. I have never met a more knowledgeable bunch of people than I have in there.

I went through what you are going through now, but last year. This is where I went to find out what I needed to know. What I ended up doing was keeping an eye on epray for something within what I wanted to spend. I got a gem of a Sansui AU-D9 (early 80's) for about $200, way below what I planned on spending, with the specs I was looking for and the most amazing, ear pleasing sound. Some people may shy away from this (old stuff dont know where its been etc etc) but I was expecting to have to do work to it when I got it (recap, deoxit the controls etc) so it was not a big deal for me. It ended up only needing a slight bias voltage adjustment and I was all set. I really did not have any plans on spending upwards of $3k on an amp that sounded the way I wanted it to sound, and so this is why I went the way I did. If you do go the ebay way....audiokarma is a good place to see what you would or should pay for what you are looking for, and a really good place for advice too......much like this place is for fishing info.

Are you looking for an integrated amp or pre/power amp?

There are a number of manufacturers of tube amps around, but as you mentioned....cost is a factor, but the sound.....oooooh the sound. Dont be intimidated by the fact that they use tubes either. There are a multitude of sources for tubes these days. I have a few tube radios here (ham radio equipment) and they sound far nicer and perform better IMO that alot of the newer solid state stuff.

Good luck in your quest.....and by the sounds of it you are well on your way to a good start!!

Bill

This is easy...

http://www.bryston.ca/

You can't beat the 20 year warranty. That's right a 20 YEAR WARRANTY!!! And they're Canadian. Sound great too. There are many others as well. Here's a couple links you need to have ........ www.canuckaudiomart.com and www.audiogon.com You can get alot more for your money if you buy used from these sites. P.S. Don't worry about all the specs. So much of that is fudged or just plain crap. Let your ears pick out your stereo and if you find a good shop they'll ask you alot about the components from your system, suggest you bring them in and encourage you to bring your own music. If you want to know if it's sounds good in a normal sized room with your equipment you'll be better off listening to it like that, right??? If you want a great shop with an honest guy with a great ear try Mark at Soundstage in Waterloo. he is really good and has some great equipment that normal people can afford. You can get a GREAT amp for $1500 by the way. If I had to pick an integrated for you it would be a Rega Mira, Audio Refinement Complete or a Creek 5350SE. YBA Integre DT's are fantastic as well (used).Research these and see what you come up with. Good luck. Close your eyes and use your ears. Flashy lights don't sound good.

Edited by kennyman

In the price range you are lookin at, consider Rotel. You can probably pick up a pre-amp and power amp for the price you are budgeted for, http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplificati...33_1583crx.aspx

You won't be able to stay in the same room as those Vega's with this amp.

Vegas are extremely efficient speakers, meaning, you don't need a ton of power to drive them.

Without going into the Bryston line (out of your budget) or tube amps, for the same reason, check out Rotel, you'll like what you hear!

HH