Wood Boat Assembly Line

Bernie

Thanks TJ....Hope to see you down at the French next summer. :Gonefishing:

I will check to see it is ok to post more pics

Do you have any "historical" pics.. that would be what I would be interested in seeing!!

Nippissing, here's a couple old pics you may be interested in.

I posted this one recentely but you may not have seen it. This is a 15' Peterboro Boat that my dad bought back in the mid 50's and kept for about 8 years.

Interesting to note that my dads boat had the steering wheel on the left side of the boat, as compared to the right side in modern boats, and it was also located in the rear seat, which was quite common back then.

Cnv1691.jpg

And this one was owned by a family friend, also in the 50's and I think it was 16'

Both excellent boats !!

Cnv0179.jpg

Hi Lew..The peterboro boat lines were beautiful.The ribs nicely rounded off and well finished. But I think it also increased their production costs at a time when aluminum and glass boats were becoming popular. Its really too bad. The boat shop still gets these in for repairs. I think they are the only ones around that still do extensive repair on these old craft. You should see some of the old stuff they get in for repair. Some are from the early 1900s. They do have a web site for those who may be interested.

www.gieslerboats.ca/

Edited by Nipissing

yes i would love to see lots of old pics as well,that is really important history of boating & fishing in ontario...keep them comming nipissing,if i ever came into money i would love to have one just for pleasure boating that would be cool,nothing feels like a wooden boat ride from what ive been told :santa:

Wow does that bring back memories. I had the pleasure of watching the craftsmen at work there about 20yrs ago when we stayed at a cottage on lake wistawasing or wasi lake. We had one of the thier 18ft boats with us at the time. Awesome craftsmanship. Great to see that your gr father is still at it. How about you?