Rules of the "road" for an ATV

irishfield

you are right Wayne, but

I can show you the law that states you can not ride on a trailer behind a car or truck

but I can't find anything about atvs, we know you can ride in a sled/trailer behind a snowmobile..they sell them, we used to own one..but atv it's not a car it's not a snowmobile..so who knows????

Under what legislation are ORV operators given permission to ride on provincial roads?

The Red Tape Reduction Act (Bill 11) received Royal Assent on December 22, 1999, and provided enabling legislation to:

classify off-road vehicles and drivers;

regulate operation on highways and prescribe conditions; and

allow municipalities to pass by-laws to define access, lower speed limits and times/seasons of operation for highways under their jurisdiction (not provincial highways).

I've often wondered about how operators get away with having passengers in a sleigh behind a quad or skidoo.......you see it all the time......nobody has helmets on......sometimes even the driver!!

I've been driven out on the back of a 4 wheeler with no helmet before, and on the back of a sled with no helmet......the driver didn't have one on either.....what gives?

What happens if someone gets hurt and hits thier head......would the operator cover that?

Sinker

I've often wondered about how operators get away with having passengers in a sleigh behind a quad or skidoo.......you see it all the time......nobody has helmets on......sometimes even the driver!!

I've been driven out on the back of a 4 wheeler with no helmet before, and on the back of a sled with no helmet......the driver didn't have one on either.....what gives?

What happens if someone gets hurt and hits thier head......would the operator cover that?

Sinker

The operators are required to have a helmet as are all the passengers in whatever is being towed. It falls under the Off Road Vehicles act. As for liability, the owner/operator is liable if they have been paid. If its just you pulling some friends, then they assume the risk willingly and they are responsible for anything that happens to them.

19a. No person shall drive an off-road vehicle or ride on an off-road vehicle or on a conveyance towed by an off-road vehicle unless he or she is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations, securely fastened under his or her chin with a chin strap. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.4, s. 19 (1).