Sump pumps!

Rattletrap2

Does anyone have any experience with 12 volt back-up sump pumps?

I have seen the Flotec brand at HD and CTC, but I'm wondering what you all use and if there isn't something better out there. I am looking for a system with battery charger, alarm, automatic float, etc.

Thanks

The last back up system I had was run by water pressure - a hydrostatic type set up. The pump (sold at places like Canadian Tire) is powered by the house's water pressure. It has it's own float system and works when the power is out and the main pump didn't. Always worked when we needed it to. The only challenge would be to run a water line to the pump/pit.

The last back up system I had was run by water pressure - a hydrostatic type set up. The pump (sold at places like Canadian Tire) is powered by the house's water pressure. It has it's own float system and works when the power is out and the main pump didn't. Always worked when we needed it to. The only challenge would be to run a water line to the pump/pit.

The problem with that is a lot of people who need the back up sump pump are on a well and if the hydro is out, then.....

Rattletrap, Myers makes one too, not too sure about retail models, but we get ours from Wolseley, a plumbing wholesaler. They can move a lot of water. Not too many problems with them, just make sure you put the check valve for the main sump pump between the back up and the main, or you'll just be recirculating the water.

Art will comment on this one but I have found some of the 12v (bilge pump looking ones)pumps do not pump enough water to keep up with heavy demand.You also have to be careful about how far the run is and how much head you are pushing against.They also have problems overcoming any sort of check valve.There is a full size pump with both 24v and 110v windings that Art has installed that seem to work quite well and are easier to install.Hopefully he can give you the comapny that makes them.

Joe

My neighbour has a 12 volt bk pump and he has no confidence in it.

I installed a sump buddy, works off municipal water line (kinda like a jet pump).

It works well, the only thing is they recommend using a ¾” line, but the ½” will do.

So the ½” line is 18” away from sump pit, wish I had not been to lazy/cheap.

But it does get rid of the water. My 5cents.

Carl

I'm in the same boat as Rattletrap. I need a back up for when my power goes out. If it had of gone out yesterday, I'd still be pumping out my basement now. My sump got a real workout......I have an extra sump pump incase mine dies, and I have a couple high power bilge pumps with batteries, but if Im not home and the power goes out when the water is flowing like it was yesterday.......I'm royally screwed!!

I'm not even sure those bilge pumps would do it.....they'd help....but I think I'd still be flooded.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more replies to this thread, but I guess most people on the board are on minicipal water/sewers.

I'm VERY interested in what others do in this situation.

Sinker

The pump that I have used in the past is a pump made by the Wayne pump company. It is a 24 volt pump that runs as the primary pump. It runs on two 12 volt batteries that are hooked to the control box. It charges and runs the pumps and switches it over to 24 volts as needed. I have found that you need to check the batteries bi monthly or the charger will cook out the batteries. I sent the charger box back to the manufacture as defective when it cooked 2 batteries. The replacement box also started to cook the batteries. I decided to get a guest 2 bank charger and hooked it in and let it run off the batteries so far it has been 1 year without any cooking of the batteries. The advantages is it is a high volume pump and it is the only one in the pit. The head that it can overcome is much more than any of the 12 volt marine pumps that companies are selling. Here is a link to the company that I bought them from you can use the info to track someone down in Canada who can supply you with the unit.

Art

24volt pump setup at pumpbiz.

Thanks everyone!

I found the Wayne pump company online today and called them, but they did not have a canadian distributor. I was looking at their ESP15 and ESP25 models that are just 12 volts. I called a bunch of places including wholesalers and found they all carried a different line. Tonight I went to the newly opened Lowes store and found a unit called "Ace in the Hole" that is 12 volt, includes a battery box, charger, check valve, & alarm signal to let you know it is running if the main pump fails. This was $244.00. The same A5000 model sold for $400.00 at the suppliers. It is made by Simer pumps. I still have to pick up a Group 27 deep cycle battery and install the whole thing.

The system that uses water pressure is no good to me, as we are on a deep well.

Thing is, my sump pit did not have a pump in it. There was always a water level in the pit, but it never rose or fell. I'm wondering if this is the natural water table level, and it rose on tuesday after the big meltdown? We had 2 1/2 feet of snow with drifts to 3 - 4 feet that dissappeared in two days! The river behind my house was up to the very edge of the bank and raging like a wild beast! It has dropped a bit tonight and we feel a little better. The water had flooded out more than 50 feet on the far side and rose about 5 feet on my side. Scarey stuff!

Now I have a little idea how they feel living in New Orleans. It sure is nice to have water all around you (I have it on three sides), but when it rises out of control it aint no fun!

Edited by Rattletrap2