Survivor man on the Hour tonight

kickingfrog

Man vs Wild >>>> Survivorman. Bear gets it done Les can build a shelter and thats about it.

Wow, you should watch a little closer when "Bear is getting it done!"

Big difference in these two shows. Lots of Youtube clips showing Bear Grylls and he hidden methods he uses for surviving.

One example. He shows how to use a packpack as a floatation device while falling into a fast moving river. The video clearly shows his life vest under his shirt which he forgot to mention. He has some great survival tips for sure but is truly putting on a production that he is stranded, in trouble or in the "Wild". His travelling camera crew can always bail him out and they do.

Another example. He sets up rabbit snares in Scotland and catches nothing. He is then given a rabbit from the crew to show you how to clean and cook it. Great info, but again, the crew was there and he left that night for his hotel room which he clearly admits. Les is still in the wild while Bear is eating his mint that house cleaning left on his pillow....

Les on the other hand, is alone, does all the camera work himself and is relying on his ability to get to a location in a matter of days and his abilty to survive. He does this and shows us how along the way. Great info and a great show.

Man vs Wild is not even comparable to Survivorman in my opinion......

Sherriff

Les goes out into the wild on his own but his crew is right nearby and check up on him all the time.(see labrador show) He has seven days because any more than that and hed starve to death. Both shows are for entertainment and Ive no doubt both wouldnt be able to survive for a month in the wilderness but ive learned way more from MVW than Survivorman. Did you see Bear use his shoelaces to climb trees?

Those two shows are coming from different angles. Les Stroud(surviverman) is showing how an average joe or cityslicker can survive for a week in the wild if they end up there by accident and unprepared. He shows the bare essentials needed to live, not prosper when lost and waiting to be rescued. He purposely does very little to show how you can still survive as long as you keep your senses and not do stupid things. Les does starve himself because he is putting his time into shooting a show, not rounding up a four course meal.

Bear is showing us tips and tricks of long term hiking, camping or a canoe trip that we choose to go on and are prepared for. He does touch on survial tips if things go wrong but one would still have a backpack full of gear to get by on.

Either way, both shows will teach you how to save your butt when dancing with Mothernature.

yeah Bushcraft is a good show for sure.

But between Les and Bear i'll side with Les any day. Man VS Wild is a joke. he shows tips and tricks to survive but he isn't in a survival situation like Les...and some of the things he shows are down right dangerous, and you'd have to be in the SAS to do it. Les spent a good part of his life learning about survival taking courses and what-not.

I think this quote alone shows the main differance ..."my wife Sue and I lived for an entire year in far Northern Ontario as if it were five hundred years ago; no metal, no matches, no plastic - just nature - on its own terms" (From an interview with Les). That is simply impressive.

Man VS Wild is a blunt form of survival entertainment, where as Survivorman is a survival experiance on tape, which requires a little more thought in my opinon.

Anyway that's my 2 cent on teh subject lol

-Ramble

I think this quote alone shows the main differance ..."my wife Sue and I lived for an entire year in far Northern Ontario as if it were five hundred years ago; no metal, no matches, no plastic - just nature - on its own terms" (From an interview with Les). That is simply impressive.

That was actually his very first show.....i watched it and it wasn't bad. you can catch it every once in a blue moon on OLN......he's working on his 3rd show.....