BOG WARNING

misfish

A buddy of mine was out on the bog last night,(Mon.) and found 4" of water on top of 8" of good ice. The reasone the huts are coming off is so they do not freeze onto the lake when it turns cold again not because the ice is too thin.

Never said the ice was thin. With the hut coming off and all this fog,I would hate to see someone fall in a hole.

Spent all morning bringing my huts back , good thing about the bog they werent out too far . Stiil had 6" of ice but also 6" of water ,didnt want to have to chip them out when (if) lol it freezes again . Lots of fog and with all the water and slush hard to see the deeper pupples and holes best to stay off with all the water its only gonna get worse . NO fun standing in water . Oh ya I was straight out from gorskies towards the channel marker. BE SAFE

The water on top of the ice should be simple enough to solve, just drill some holes thru the ice and let the water drain into the lake!!! duh! ;)

That won't work. The extra water underneath will make the ice crack, and then it will have to freeze again! Boy these southeners don't know nutin'. <_<

Actually Thats a good suggestion Dog, As a general rule that is what we do. We did that on Sunday and a majority of the water in the area went down. Those holes went from 8" to about 18" round in a matter of 12hrs just from the run off.Those hole and where peopla had huts are now a tremendous hazard. Like Brian said WARNING the ice out there is not good.

Live to Fish another day

AL

You sure don't have to drill any holes to drain water, yesterday morn there were holes out there the size of my truck tires,and not drilled holes either,just cracks that water sinks through and gets bigger and bigger.(was out taking all rental huts off)

drilling drain holes does work,ive done it myself,but not needed out there right now,theres enough there as it is :wallbash: .

rain is a very big concern for icefishermen as you all know the ice forms ontop of the water(lol)when the rain runs down the holes its building pressure under the ice trying to push the ice upwards because of a rise in water level,thus its gotta bust somewhere,thus more pressure cracks.other pressure cracks are formed by the ice expanding once its all across the lake it pushes outwards shore to shore and has to burst somewhere in between thus your pressure cracks appear there is 2 other reasons for the pressure cracks but ive yaped enough

just my 2 cents backed with over 25 years of guideing ice fishing out there 7 days a week morn and afternoon(when theres ice lol)

not trying to be a know it all folks just trying to tell folks what ive learned out there and been taught by my grandfather who also was a hunting and fishing guide out there for 53 years.

take care stay at home and stay safe the fishing only gonna get better :thumbsup_anim:

HAWG HUNTER

I checked Ceasarea last night, the ice was very slippery, a number of huts are pulled into the shore. One in particularly was one heck of a hut, with real windows, 360 deg outside lighting, stereo, fully insulated and a wood stove to boot!

Out from my place there is only about 6 to 7" of ice left, with water on top making it also very slippery. A hole I drilled 3 weeks is open again and there is a small stream of water flowing into it. Where the water is flowing along the ice it has cut a 3" deep channel into it. At this location last week there was 14" of ice.

A big change.

I will not be venturing out there anytime soon.

Entropy

That won't work. The extra water underneath will make the ice crack, and then it will have to freeze again! Boy these southeners don't know nutin'. <_<

In light of the next posts, I have to say I meant my post as a joke. I did not realize that I was not far off the mark. Sorry if I mis-spoke GCD. :blush::blush:

In light of the next posts, I have to say I meant my post as a joke. I did not realize that I was not far off the mark. Sorry if I mis-spoke GCD. :blush::blush:

No need to apologize HTHM! I've got real thick skin. ;)

You may be right and I may be the one that's wrong. The next time I'm up in the winter we'll go drill some holes and see.

If water goes down the hole you can buy me a Coca-Cola... if it comes up thru the hole I'll buy you one! :lol:

No need to apologize HTHM! I've got real thick skin. ;)

You may be right and I may be the one that's wrong. The next time I'm up in the winter we'll go drill some holes and see.

If water goes down the hole you can buy me a Coca-Cola... if it comes up thru the hole I'll buy you one! :lol:

Here we go again.......Southerners don't understand canadian customs. Disputes of this nature are settled with brown pops, not Cokes. :whistling::clapping: