Gilford report from Sunday

Brian

Hi All,

Made the trip up to Gilford yesterday with a couple friends and my son. The drive was nerve racking to say the least.

Anyways, on the ice and fishing by 7:30, and the bite was steady till noon. Lots of fish but lacking in size for us. Wound up with 46 perch from 8 1/2 to 10". No real hawgs. Threw a bunch back to grow.

The fog came in really thick when we had decided to leave so I dug out my H2O GPS and the batteries were low so I plugged it in to the quad and guess what happened then??????

You guessed it NOTHING.... What is the point of having an external power source if it will not run when the batteries are low or dead? I don't understand it.

Well we did make it in ok, but let me tell ya that is a little freaky, traversing in those conditions.

Good thing I always carry a compass, thank god.

Well thats it thats all

Brian

Hi Fisherman,

I'm not 100% sure. I have a spot light for the quad and it seems to work OK.

Even when I plugged it in, in the truck on the way home it still would not work.

So if this is the case, it sure is a flaw. And something that should be taken into consideration if someone is in the market for one.

Thanks again

Brian

Guest skeeter99

should work fine

even when my batteries are dead it will always run on external power

here is a tip for the 12v adapter on your atv (they are crap get corroded real quick and dont work when you need them) LOL!!

go buy on at crappy tire or wal fart and wire it directly to the battery and run it through the handlebars tie wrap it with about a 1/2 play so it will dangle down put not to much that it will flap around while driving, this will help and water or crud that does get in their to just fall out, I have had mine like that for years now no issues, but the one on the bike is another issues I just gave up on the thing!!!

Edited by skeeter99

Hey Skeetr, I don't think that is it either because I just got the quad a month ago and my Lowrance H2O is not quite a year yet.

Not sure what it is. Guess I will have to do some playing around with it and see whats up. Maybe its just a lemon!

Brian

I have a Lowrance and have now had two adapter cords break down. They are very weak where the wire goes into the adapter that goes into the GPS unit itself. The first one never worked right from the first time I used it. I received a new one and it broke this summer. I've given up on the adapters.

A message appears on the bottom of your screen (at least mine does the way I have it set up) that you are on external power. What I would try is plug the unit into your car, and slowly wiggle/bend the wire in the adapter at the GPS. This won't fix it obviously, but it may show you what in my experience is the obvious...You need a new adapter cord. Andy

Edited by Andy

well the question is

when you got home did you try it again and it did or didn't work

then you put fresh batteries in the unit, then hooked it up to the power cord and it ..did or didn't work

then we can figure out the problem...

OK guys,

Like I said I tried it in the truck on the way home and NADDA. Went out and played with it today. Same batteries, same power cord and it works.

I put in old batteries that I knew were dead and still with the power cord NADDA. Took batteries out and left the power cord attached and NADDA.

So, I called Angling Outfitters (where I bought the unit) and Jos said that it should operate with out the batteries and told me to bring it in and he would look at it. So it seems as though Andy may be correct in saying that I need a new cord.

Gonna try and head up there this afternoon if I can, I will let you all know how I made out.

Thanks again everyone for your ideas and help.

Later

B

Hey guys

Back again with an update. Took the unit in and it turned out to be the power cord. It had a short or something in it. So it seems that it never worked right since I bought and I just figured it out.

Anyways I have a new one now and all is well.

Thanks OFC

Brian

Hey Terry, I thought maybe I was going to meet you on Sunday.

There was a fellow out there with a bike exactly like yours, set up the same from what I can tell from the pictures that you have posted. Chains on the tires, windshield, back seat with the storage, and electronics to boot.

BUT it wasn't,,, turned out his name was Jim.

So Jim if you're a member here, it was nice to meet ya. And Terry maybe another time eh!

Later

Brian