Fisherman goes through ice on Bay of Quinte

DT10Sam

We have dangerous ice at Point Anne and today a member of one of the fishing boards was walking out from Point Anne and felt things were not right as he was walking and there was water around him on soft ice. He held on to his spikes and before he knew it he went through the ice up to his waist. He quickly used his ice spikes and was able to get out of it as quickly as possible. He then went to some other fisherman on the ice to warm up by their heater. He feels now that he will not venture out until there is good ice. I would strongly recommend that everybody that is going to go fishing at Point Anne re-book their ice fishing trip and stay off of the Bay of Quinte in that area until we have good ice out. It is worth the wait of a couple of days in order to enjoy the ice fishing and not have to face any tragedies. I have been mentioning about the unsafe ice conditions at Point Anne and will not recommend anyone to this area for fishing until the ice conditions improve.

I will post daily on my site the ice conditions on the Bay of Quinte.

Here is the link Quinte ice reports

Best regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

It was bound to happen Sam. Your ice reports did warn people though...you are doing a great service here...and hopefully anyone planning to hit the BOQ will check out your reports first!

Thanks Cliff,

Today as I drive over the Bay bridge I noticed quite a few people out on the ice, I hope they know what they are doing. I really do not want to post any tragedies.

Regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

You know no matter how hard we try to warn people it seems others have to take risk eventhough common sence should be the priority.

If one is going to venture out onto the ice when they should not at least take precautions like ice spikes(almost sounds like this gentleman who fell through the ice knew what to expect.

Where a floater suit and if you can't have one of those wear a PFD until you are absolutely sure it is safe .At least with some of these items you may have a fighting chance.

Far too many deaths each year cause of lack of a little common sense or a warped ego :wallbash:

Please be safe.MTP