Fishing Setback...humour

Garry2Rs

Hi Guys;

A few days ago I caught my PB LM Bass so it was with high hopes and great expectations that Buck and I returned to the lake today.

We had spent most of the last few days reviewing strategy, on DVD's we made last summer, from the BPS show "The Bass Pro's" which airs on the Versus Network in the USA.

That Bass fishing God-Among-Men, Kevin Van Dam spoke to us about the proper technique for fishing Rattle Trap type, lipless cranks...We studied hard, and hit the water today, with new confidence and resolve.

What we learned was that to be most effective, lipless cranks need to contact the bottom!

KVD basically said that if your not hitting weedtops, and/or the bottom, your wasting your time (or as Buck put it, "humping a leg.")

This afternoon we hit the water with a new plan...

Cast and let our lipless lures sink to the bottom, then work them back with slow tugs, until we feel the resistance of weeds etc...then we'll rip them free, and expect a strike!

All was fine for the first few casts. Then there was a major set back.

Here we were casting and ripping when all of a sudden we had something on!

That was the good news...

The bad news was it didn't feel right...

It was heavy, but not like a fish...more like a stick, or a big wad of weeds.

BUT, it was swimming away from us, in a strange sort of way...

With great interest we brought the line in and swung our prize over the side...

SetBack.jpg

Buck was disgusted. He wouldn't even look me in the eye!

We had foul hooked a Carp!

Buck pointed out that perhaps this ripping thing was a hazard to other species...

I retorted that this was only what is called "collateral damage."

My friend quickly picked up the interloper and dropped it over the side.

Quickrelease.jpg

We agreed that this was a set back...but that we would never mention the unfortunate incident again.

It looks like Buck ate that Carp! YUCK!!!

There is a Rattle Trap retrieve that you can use that doesn't require hitting things or snagging weeds. It's a hopping retrieve, I like to pull the lure about 3 feet and let it drop a little and then pull again. This can be done anywhere in the water column and it got me my PB Spotted Bass.