Ice Fishing Rod

HUKDONFAWNIX

Hi Everyone,

I wanna buy my first ice fishing rod this year and I have absolutely no idea what to get. I asked my buddy and he told me not to buy one.......just use piece of a hockey stick and some line :rolleyes: Anyway, I will most likely be fishing for perch, pike and pickeral. I'm looking for an all purpose rod & reel that will be the best bang for my $. Nothing expensive, but reliable and good enough that it won't freeze.

Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas to all!

If I were you I would checkout the new genz stix or if you don't want to sped $40 then just buy a ultralight frabil rod witht the spring bobber for panfish ( $11.99 at lebarons) and a shakespere razor or a ugly stick in the 4-8lb range.

Cheers Jeff

A willow branch plucked from the lake shore before you head out can't be beat. That's all I've ever used. And, you'll never find a more sensitive rig. Just tuck your line under a bud and you're good to go. Sometimes fishing gets too complicated.

go with the willow branches like DANC said

add some good line a hook n minnow and sinker and a red ribbon

and your set

no need for ice rods espeacially if you dont pay attention to them as they dissapear quickly if the pike are lurking around

then again if u like perch fishing the panfish popper is a good combo

but for pickeral and pike stick with the willow branch and if not

a piece of hockey stick clothes hanger and a small spool of line will be good

Edited by FinS

A willow branch plucked from the lake shore before you head out can't be beat. That's all I've ever used. And, you'll never find a more sensitive rig. Just tuck your line under a bud and you're good to go. Sometimes fishing gets too complicated.

I'm with Dan ... nothing beats a supple twig stuck into the slush beside your hole ... line right off the spool tossed a few yards away in the snow ... except maybe this ... (because perfect twigs arent always easy to find) ...

March%20Break%2006%20001.jpg

Notice the jingle bells, the rubberised release mechanism (from a skirt hanger) ... the glow stick for strike indication in the dark ... and the infinitely adjustable wire which can be bent to be more sensitive on quiet days or a little stiffer in the wind ... and as a bonus just wrap a cigarette tinfoil (or black electrical tape like in the second rod in the background) around the line to catch the wind for that little 'extra wiggle' and to be able to see that the line is still set in the release from a distance ... patent pending :)

Edited by camillj

I went to BPS today and ran into Greg Klatt. He was working there, although he was wearing an Ice fishing shirt? Not a BPS one.

Anyway, he was extremely helpful (Thank you Greg) and along with everyone's help from here...... I was able to buy a Frabill rod&reel set up and some line that suits my needs. Although I will also try DanC's suggestion and try a willow branch as a secondary set up for another hole. I'm sure it will work just as well!

Any lure suggestions for perch, pike and pickeral? I found the selection at BPS a little overwhelming since

this method of fishing is new to me.

Thanks guys for all the info and advice guys. I truly appreciate it.