VHF RADIOS

Badger Shark

Hey guys and gals I have a question, where can I get decent vhf (handheld) for a decent price? I just want a handheld for this year then I will get a base unit for next year. I want to have one for Quinte since I am down there every week and it would be nice to have one for many reasons. The main reason would be to contact others on the water that I know have them instead of using cell phones. I know you need a license too but I just want to get a radio for now. I live in the Ottawa area by the way.

If anyone has one they want to sell let me know as I would be interested in that way too.

Thanks

Don

Hey don just wait and save your money....the handheld units really dont have much power and many will say they are not woth the money...wait till you can get a base unit they have much more power and have alot more options and you can get a good one for around 200 dollar mark....with the way the dollar is now,last year i got one on sale from cabelas,for 129 bucks...so check there first,and dont worry about needing a licence,you will not be asked to produce one,i havnt in 15yrs....so check it out cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

5 watt portable on a full size antenna works just fine. It's the rubber duck antennas on portables that make them darn near useless for anything but boats right beside you.... or listening to the weather report. I have many airplanes thru the hangar that have handhelds attached to the dash and hooked to a proper antenna and they're good for 40 miles. For BOQ I've got my sport trac mounted handheld and an 8' antenna that is held in place nicely by nothing but my bow cargo net. If that don't work...I think I have at least 50% of the OFC boat drivers cell numbers.

All that said...you can probably buy a permant mount unit for the same money I spent on the handheld last year at BPS. I think it was $149 and my brain's stretchin here...but without walkin to the hangar.. I think it's a Uniden.

Edited by irishfield

West Marine? #@*&, I've been in the Barrie store, I don't know how they manage to stay in business with their prices, right out to lunch, first impression, "it's an Elite store", costs more, must be better syndrome.

Now if you had done your research and homework you could have this:

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21358_TGP&id=0025874016768a&navCount=1&podId=0025874&parentId=cat21358&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21358&hasJS=true

A Uniden hand held for $59.99, 5 watt.

Edited by Fisherman