Finally for the Family, Jury finds Wolf killed their son

holdfast

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/stor...ct.html?ref=rss

Well it took 2 years finally for the truth to come out. Listening to a talk show today, with the father of the young man that was eaten I learned some interesting facts. The next day he was found and the RCMP said that it was most likely wolves that killed and eaten him (only 60lbs was left) because of the tracks and the wolf sightings. A Native elder was also on sight and she also believed it was a wolf attack. But here's where the controversy comes in. The Government of Sask (SERM) with all their intelligent thinking sent out Paul Paquet to investigate on behalf of Saskatchewan Environmental and Resource Management. He is a Wolf Expert, Environmentalist, as well as a David Suzuki Quest or mentor. So he says that it is a Bear attack as there is no way wolves would harm humans. To make a long story short despite contrary evidence that was the governments findings. The family knew those were not the facts and going through legal battles finally it went to court. Why would the government and Paquet say it was a bear? ( he still doesn't believe in the Juries findings). These wolves got used to man because of a dump that was not fenced. Maybe Paquet does not want or believes that his cute little wolves will kill man. He definitely doesn't want man to think wolves can be dangerous so they should be managed, maybe even killed. He might be like the husband and wife who collect and sniff wolf scat in Algonquin Park. A WOLF PROTECTIONEST. There maybe other issues too. Whats interesting though is that 2 wolves were shot and examined from the pack and was found to have digested Human Hair. No bears in the woods in November that far North because their Hibernating. Of course the evidence on the ground wolf tracks, no bear tracks.

One interesting point. A Retired RCMP called the talk show and stated that he was posted in Northern BC and came a cross a hunter/trapper who told him. When he hunts wolves he will crawl and role on the ground to attract wolves as if he is wounded. Apparently the caller stated that he had plenty of pelts to prove that it works

WOW...That changes everything now...i wonder if thats going to make everyone shoot wolves on sight now,cause they proved now that they hunt humans....and for all those years they have always said that there isnt one documented case of wolves hunting humans !!!!! well its a strage case for sure,im curious as to the final outcome of this is going to be....thanks for sharing,this story very interesting>>>>>

I was moose hunting in Shining Tree a few (maybe more than a few) years back, we heard that a local hunter with his wife were hunting grouse and were attacked by a pack of wolves. Several weeks after we returned from our trip it made the news as the first documented case of wolves attacking people.

Edited by Tackle Buster

When I lived in Northern Ontario it was well known that wolves will attack injured people, in fact one native woman that had seisures was found on the side of a road half eaten, by a truck drive who stopped because he saw a bunch of wolves flee that very spot. A trapper told me he shot 5 wolves of a 7 pack, he shot them because they were making a b-line directly towards him.

Edited by Vanselena

I personally know a guy who when as a child has a very interesting story about being surrounded by wolves while checking beaver traps with his dad and his dad having to kill three or four of them with the rifle as they came across the pond towards them... were they gonna be eaten .. who knows.. Ill agree with Rick though... when in the bush.. you do become part of nature and the circle of life that the whole of the outdoors revolves around... would i shoot a wolf just for being there... unlikely... if i was there with the kids and they were hanging around a bit too much for my taste... well it would be wolf soup for dinner.... part of my circle of life.

Personally I think a hungry bear is a bit more dangerous than any old wolf would be... however... that being said... humans are more dangerous to humans than any old wolf would ever be.... just ask the RCMP lately...

Apparently in this case the wolves were feeding at an unregulated dump. Kind of lost its fear of man. Sort of reminds me of bears. Whats really astonishing about this case is that it took an inquiry 2 years to find that it was a wolf kill vice bear which SERM was indicating. Untill I heard this story on the talk show I would of argued that there was no cases of wolves killing let alone feeding on a human being. I guess there must of been alot at stake to take this long to finally admit of what happened.

I remember hearing of a story that took place a couple years ago I believe on a beach on the North end of Superior......a couple was walking along the beach and their 3 year old kid was walking ahead of them.......a wolf came outta the bush and grabbed the kid then dissapeard with it. The dad chased down the wolf and the wolf let the kid go and the guy noticed the wolf was limping......animals will do whatever it takes when in desperation......the wolf probably knew it couldnt catch any prey it normally could so it grabbed the slow moving toddler.......anything can happen