Saturday Morning Steel

ccmtcanada

Basskicker and I planned to hit a local trib first this morning looking for some Steelhead. I've been at this location a few times with him and always got skunked...so I didn't have high hopes this time. The way I look at it though, it's always great to see Jason, so at the worst we'd have a chance to catch up while drifting.

We got there and it was still dark out....we both started drifting and couldn't even see our floats....LOL. It was ok though...5 minutes later it was light out enough to see them. We both had a few missed hits and then suddenly my float goes down. Wow...I actually have a fish on in this trib! I couldn't believe it....haha. After a short fight, I landed my first fish. As I picked it up for the picture it starts flipping around and I end up unintentionally releasing it. :o Smart a $ $ Jason takes this pic and says..."there you go...here's your fish"...LOL. So Jason...it was what..a 15 pounder right?? :dunno: Ok ok...it was a small one.... :whistling:

A5.jpg

Jason was having a tough day....had a few hits including one break off. A little while later, I get another small one, but hey, I'm not complaining!!

A3.jpg

Sorry bout the quality of the pics...we both forgot our cameras, so I had to take these with my cell phone.

By 9am, the bite had turned off. The waters were VERY shallow and gin clear, so we decided to call it a day at 10am.

Good seeing you again Jason...we'll do it again soon.

Edited by ccmtcanada

I wuzz just down the lake a bit from you guys . . . . got a 15" brown I had to keep . . . . swallowed the hook right into it's gills . . . no way wuzz I about to feed THIS to the gulls! The ONLY hit I had, I packed it up at noon too. So o o o o . . . . what shall I have for supper . . . . trout or perch?

Good looking fish.....

I too had an interesting morning. I woke up at 3AM old time looked out and I figured it ain't raining so off I went. I got to the lake saw waves trashing and crashing the piers so I moved up river a bit.... I got the rod set up and put on the glow stick so I could bottom fish till dawn. On went the roe bag. One quick toss into the honey hole and I set the rod down to go set up my landing net as it is 9ft drop to the water where I was..... Of course I get a bite and hook the fish while my net is still in three pieces. Somehow I managed to put the net together while fighting the fish and after spooking it once by showing it the net I managed to land a nice 8lb plus Bow. Note to self if alone set up the dang landing net to avoid this problem in the future. Nothing like trying to line up the holes for the wingnut bolt and getting it started in the dark while fighting a fish.....

Edited by Canuck2fan

nice job cliff.to bad you werent on that trib last sunday the bite was hot.got out yesterday with jason for a few casts i managed two decent fish one 3-4 and another 5-6 jason however was still having trouble on that hooking thing lol.i did feel his pain,the week before was my worst ever bite to land ratio going some 4 for 10.hope to get a chance to fish with u again happy hunting.

nice job cliff.to bad you werent on that trib last sunday the bite was hot.got out yesterday with jason for a few casts i managed two decent fish one 3-4 and another 5-6 jason however was still having trouble on that hooking thing lol.i did feel his pain,the week before was my worst ever bite to land ratio going some 4 for 10.hope to get a chance to fish with u again happy hunting.

Jason was showing me these micro hooks he was using...I like to use hooks that are probably a little too big for trout, but they seem to work for me. Yeah...we'll all have to hit a trib or two this fall.