Barbless Hooks

motv8tr

Hey all, I'm putting together a fishing kit for my friends 3 and 5 year olds for Christmas. I picked them up rods and reels from BPS this morning along with some micro tubes. I was hoping to stock their new tackle boxes with barbless hooks just to be safe but forgot to look for them while I was there. I stopped into the local Wal-Mart and CTC and couldn't find them.

Can they be bought? Where?

Thanks

Maureen

Moe,

The flyfishing shop inside BPS should carry barbless hooks. You will mostly find them in shops catering to flyfishers.

You could take a pair of pliers and squeeze the barb down.

John

Hey Rene...check with Photoz...I'm sure he uses some for carp...makes for easier release as they are mainly hooked in the lip when you use a hair rig...

Would be a pain if you were using real worms with the youngsters but a drop of crazy glue with plastics will help keep stuff on the hook...

Would be a pain if you were using real worms with the youngsters but a drop of crazy glue with plastics will help keep stuff on the hook...

Ya it might be a pain, but I thought it might be safer for them to start with...

Maureen

Mo,

I fished a little in Alberta this past summer,

and not one tackle shop sold barbless hooks that I frequented.

I even fished with locals and actual tackle shop owners at times,

Same thing????????/

I was real curious about it...

All anyone did was pinch the barb ever so lightly until you heard a click.

That usually was all it takes..then run your finger towards the point to make sure it was sufficient.

There was a post not to long back just about this and someone brought up a good point(LOL)

"Push the hook through a piece of paper and if it tugs or makes the hole bigger on the way out it is not sufficiently barbless"....

If that is what a CO might put you through...Id make double sure it worked.

As this is for just a childs safety, the method I mentioned above should suffice.

Pete

Mike the problem isn't that I find it difficult to do, it's that I don't want to open a package that's a Christmas present.

DSN, the link no longer works, or at least not for me, but thanks anyway. It does give me the idea to look there in the future, although I've never bought anything off e-bay.

maureen

Hmm strange this is the second time I posted a link and it doesn't seem to work. Used to on the old board. But then again it didn't also on another board. Don;t know why. Anyways least you got the link going.

Thanks TomD for hleping me out on that one.

dsn :D