Laser Eye Surgery

motv8tr

Hey all, I hope you're having a good weekend. I am considering looking into the possibility of having laser eye surgery in the hopes of losing my glasses, at least full time ;) I have looked at three companies and really don't know the big difference between them. I was hoping someone here has had experience with at least one of them. I have looked up Bochner, Herzig and Lasik, also there's a new one in Barrie. They all differ greatly in price, but I know that paying the most doesn't always mean it's the best.

Can anyone here shed some light on any company for me?

Thanks

Maureen

I had mine done 10 years ago using Lasik technology, and it was the best decision I had made so far. All my sisters and friends has done it after me as well.

Try lasik MD, they advertise for $450 per eye. I hope there isn't a catch.

The new technology cost a lot of money around $3000-$5000. The non surgical one. It is only good for those who are too scared of any kind of operation, and has to pay. The result is not any better.

Lasik is painless and works very well. It is actually a 15 minute procedure. Price has dropped due to newer Technology. Lasik has been in exsistance for 20 years outside of north America.

If you have a perscription higher than 600. I believe it will only go down to 100, and cannot completely give you 20/20.

one thing to consider is

Nearly a third of patients undergoing laser eye surgery, using the LASIK method, reported problems seeing at night, according to a new study.

Scientists at Ohio State University analysed data from 605 patients who had the surgery six months earlier. One out of three reported vision problems including seeing halos, starbursts and glare surrounding lights — problems that can affect a person's night vision.

people that drive for a living or drive long distance to get to work should consider this...I have a great deal of problems driving at night

Edited by Terry

hey Mo

almost 3 years to the date I had mine done. Lasik MD in Niagara Falls. My procedure was a little different as I had a stigmatism, but it has been a positive experience thus far, no night vision problems at all either. Same story for my father (mid 50's) as well

My wife had Lasik done about 10 years ago. She had an astigmatism it was corrected and didn't need glasses at all any longer. I think it also depends on what is being corrected (near sighted, far sited, astigmatism).

The only problem she had was her night vision wasn't great for quite awhile (street and tail lights had a glow around them). She was told she wouldn't be able to see very well for a couple of days but was driving the same night.

I would disagree with Terry's report!

Many would be rich sueing those that had performed lasik surgery today. Unless Terry has a personal bad eye operation experience that is worth sharing, of course we need to hear it as well.

We also heard of someone died of car accident on the freeway, but we still drive, do we?

There are few instances of laser surgery problems, however, how many millions are satisfied with the procedure. Just as many are scared of investing in the stock market either, and regretted.

The new technology also tries to discredit older technology to essentially profit from people's fear.

Fear stops many from being successful in life. Fear of getting married! Fear of investment! Fear of getting drowned at the whirlpool! Fear of losing a lure. Fear of a vasectomy! Fear of getting rob while fishing alone. Fear of eating our catch ! etc....

I am Married, with two teenagers, own my business, have other responsibility to other organization. Why should I take unnecessary risk to potentially get blind and lose all that I have? Unless others had tried it and was successful, I don't think I am desperate enough to be a guinea pig to some doctors? I had mine done in Asia 10 years ago, where we can't sue the doctor if things go wrong.

Now I can waterski, play tennis at night, endulge in basketball without an eyeglass. My vision is better than 20/20 at times. I do need reading glass, on few occasion. But the reward of being able to see cleary even at night without having to wear an eyeglass, our medical technology has come a long way. How about be able to fish during heavy rain without an eyeglass fogging our vision!

I used to be blind! Now I can see! HOO HAA!

I had my eyes done 1 year ago this week, and I love it. After lots of research and consultation with an independent eye doctor, I chose Lasik Zyoptic surgery in Ottawa. There has been huge advances in the past few years as I did not qualify for any type of procedure only 7 years ago. There are reasons for differences in prices such as: sofistication of the lazer used, technique, quality of exam, experience and skill of the Doctor. You only have one set of eyes....do your research!

I had several very thorough eye exams by different doctors and optomologists on different equipment (for redundancy). I chose the Lasik Zyoptic as it used the most advanced lazer and was more precise, shaping the cornea in 3 dimensions. The actual procedure took ony a few minutes per eye, was virtually painless and faster recovery than my buddy who also had Lasik that same day but a different procedure. I did have some halos (as informed) for a week or two then disappeared. Results are individual, but for me I could see 20/20 after 24 hours.

F.Y.I. 20/20 refers to average, uncorrected vision, not "perfect" vision. If you have 20/40 vision it means, for equal acuity, you need to stand 20 feet from an object while "perfect vision" people could stand 40 feet away. So, 20/80 means you stand 20 away, they stand 80 feet away and see the same quality. Before surgery, I was 'off-the-charts', estimated at 20/400, yes 20/400. This was only the optomologist's estimate as I couldn't even see the large letter"E" on the eye chart clearely. Yes, I do have to wear 'cheeter' glases for reading, but that is also a function of age.

For me it has been life altering, I love it, but it is not for everyone. Do your homework and feel comfortable. If price is an issue, remember some health plans now cover the procedure and it is a claimable medical expense on your income tax.

Alan

eyes.jpg

My wife had hers done with Lasik in Kingston. Same bunch I think as Guido went with out of Ottawa. Anyway, Bren's eyes were coke bottle bad. Now they're better than 20/20.

First two days she suffered though, third much better. By a week no probs. She had the laser plus the PKU thingy where they scrape and burn stuff I think. So that's why her recovery wasn't like the 1 or 2 days others sometimes get away with.

My eyes are starting to go... I'd consider it. Both my parents have had it and had no probs either.

Our son had it done in London a few years ago (Lazik I believe). He figgered if it was good enuf for Tiger Woods it was good enuf for him. Unfortunately his game didn't improve to Tiger's level. Matt's eyes weren't bad before the procedure but glasses are a nuisance for a golf pro.

I've asked him several times if he was still happy with it and he says absolutely and he never had a hint of a problem.

When we were first researching it for him we were told by everyone to beware the cheap offerings.

JF

Thanks everyone for all of your replies, they are really appreciated. Terry, thank you for your reply, it's good to know both sides. I have heard of some having problems with night vision after the surgery, and as I do drive for a living that is something I have to seriously consider. I currently get halo's and a suffer from the glare of on coming headlights at night, I don't need it to get worse.

I have been leaning towards The Lasik centre in Toronto, partly because of price, but also because they have been around for a very long time. My health plan does not cover the surgery at all, so it's good to know it's deductible on my tax return :D .

Again, thanks for all of your replies, I will let you know what I decide.

Maureen

My wife [Maureen] had her eyes done at Bochner a few years ago and she swears by them. They were fantastic, very courteous and professional. She felt very comfortable with them right from the start. The post-procedure help was stellar, 24 phone number she could call if she had any problems [which she didn't] and they scheduled a bunch more appointments to check that everything was alright for the next... Hmm I forget how long it went, at least six months, maybe a year... sorry, I forget. I've heard other places rush you in and out and never see you again. Bochner makes sure it's all good. They were even willing to become her regular optometrist for the rest of her life. Bochner was absolutely fantastic.

Having read over some responses I've remembered a few things. Mau had headaches for a few days after - that was expected and they gave her some prescription strength pain killers which helped alot. She also had the night 'halos' around lights for the first little while but that went away completely after a few months and now her night vision is perfect. Her vision is better than 20/20. She does not need reading glasses, her vision is great near and far. I'll ask her to come in here and give her perspective.

Just talked with Mau on the phone. She's pretty busy today, says she might get on later. She pointed out that they said she still has a good chance of needing reading glasses when she's older. That's just normal as the lens and tissue in the eye loses its elasticity and begins to distort a little. And Lasik or the surgery won't be able to do a thing about that. Which made me think...

Those of you that had procedures [or know someone that did] and use reading glasses: if it's not too personal, how old are you? I just figure that'd be an important factor for Maureen to consider in her decision. If you went to company X at 25 and needed reading glasses right after that's not as good as it could be. But if you're 55 then needing reading glasses doesn't reflect poorly on the company's abilities at all.

Also, a little perspective from an outsider:

Pro - You no longer get woken up at 2:00am to hear "what time is it?"

Con - You get woken up at 2:00am to hear "I can see the clock!"

Hey Scootch thanks for the replies about your wife, by the way, I like her name ;) . I am 41 and have a fairly strong prescription, but can read without my glasses if need be....so far. I do drive professionaly and long distances so the halo's are an issue for me, but as I mentioned I do get them now. The surgery will not be life changing for me, but would make some things easier...for one, less fish will be wearing my glasses :P . It would be nice to be able to wear sun glasses again as for some reason my contacts have really bothered me for the last year or more so I stopped wearing them.

When the day comes that I need reading glasses, that won't be an issue, if I decide to have the surgery that is. I will likely make an appt. for one day in the next week or two and at least see if I'm a good candidate for the surgery, and if so I will go from there.

Maureen

Maureen,

Had the surgery in 2000. Had 20/15 vision in each eye for 7 years. This year I started to notice my distance vision was still good, but my close vision was getting worse. E.g. tying knots, reading, etc. So the "older" for me as far as needing reading glasses when I was older (which they did say was a certainty) has already begun at the tender age of 36. lol

Nonetheless, I am thankful and have no regrets at all about the procedure as it definitely helped me catch more fish!

Has mine done for twelve hundred per eye at Gimbels on Yonge near Lawrence.

Charles