Roe help!!!!!!!

xrap

I was down at the river today fishing, although I did not get any fish a guy close by got a female and he asked if I wanted some eggs. So he gave me some maybe like half a pop can's worth and now I have no idea how to cure them, their sitting in my fridge in a mini jar covered with plastic wrap. Any quick ideas how to cure em? And by the way the fish was relased and swam off strong. Also I saw a bunch of steelhead and tones of Big big browns some maybe in the 15lb range. Gonna go try and target them maybe tommrow.

First off,taking the roe from a fish ,then releasing it is illegal.You must keep the fish ,if you wish to keep the roe.OK now,take the eggs ,rinse them and add twice the amount of water,as eggs.Add the same amount of salt(as eggs),and the same amount of brown sugar.Stir slowly and let stand for a few hours.....Check eggs by sqeezing one ,they get a rubbery coating and bounce like little rubber balls......rinse once more,pat dry on paper towel and store in the fridge till your ready to go.....TC and tight lines....Chuck.....

Edited by Bigchev4x4

Only way i cure my eggs is soon as they come from the fish rinse off in the water they came from a few times put in a jar your good to go ...mut be the water the fish came from note ..

Edited by Fishmaster

It is not illegal to take eggs from a fish and release it.

From the Ask a C.O. site:

Question 125:

Regarding the collection of trout/salmon roe for personal use as bait. Is it legal to partially "strip" a female salmon or trout of roe then return the fish to the river, providing the fish has been caught legally? It seems that this activity would fall under molesting or harrassing the fish but the alternative, killing the fish for the eggs, seems even worse.

Asked June 28/00

Answer from the MNR

There is nothing in the Fisheries Act or the Ontario Fishery Regulations which prohibits this particular activity. Personally, if I was taken out of my natural elements and stripped of my eggs, chances are I would consider myself molested!! On the other hand, there is no provision in the law with regard to molesting or harassing fish. However, you should be aware that chances are that such a fish, after the handling is likely going to die anyway.

That being said, eggs, by definition, are fish. While we have never limited the number of roe sacs which one may possess from legally taken fish, when you handle the fish as you have indicated that fish is deemed to be 'captured and retained'. Therefore each fish that you perform this activity upon would be considered part of your daily limit.

Ask A C.O.

Well i do like big chev,does his roe except....at the very end sprinkle some borax over the eggs so that there is some powder stuck to them....so first you pat them dry.....this works amazing and gives them a great scent...and you can also skip the brown sugar and use the borax,the same way or use the brown sugar and just before the storage of them sprinkle the borax on...this as well will harden the roe too...

I don't got any creek water, do you think I can use the water from my fish aquarium. And I'm not the one who caught the fish and I had no idea that your supose to keep it. I thgohut the man did a good thing by realeasing it. Giving it a chance to lay the rest of the eggs. I don't know why somebody would want to take a black 20lb rotting chinny.

Edited by xrap

I just leave mine the way nature intended them to be. Stinky and sticky. I don't mix them with anything. I freeze them in smaller amounts then when I want to make roe sacs I take out one bundle and make the sacs and they work great.

Joey

I just leave mine the way nature intended them to be. Stinky and sticky. I don't mix them with anything. I freeze them in smaller amounts then when I want to make roe sacs I take out one bundle and make the sacs and they work great.

Joey

How do they work on suspeneded fish????????????????? BWAHAHAHAHAHA