trolling with a 4 stroke

stuntman

Hey there,

I am pretty sure just about every boat and motor combination has been run by OFNers:

In the market for a small 4-stroke motor and want to be able to troll with it too.

How big is too big for this double duty? The boat is a semi V, about 300lbs.

is 25hp too big?

I love good advice, thanks,

stuntman

a 25 is no problem, I have a 25Honda on a 16' aluminum, I've even seen up to 50's troll slow enough.

Not the case with my 50hp Honda this model has a carburator and my boat is to light to slow down.Some of the newer motors with fuel injection troll slower.A friend of mine got a new 60hp Mercury 4 stroke last year trolls nice and slow.I think the weight of a boat will make a difference.

MTP :Gonefishing:

I have 40hp 4 stroke on my 626lb lund, and i had to put a trolling plate on the motor,well man that works great and doesnt affect any performance or things like that,how ever it does affect the steering a little bit but its manageable for sure...oh ya mine is a tiller ....its always better to get a little more HP...as long as you dont go over what the boat is rated for,by the time you get all your gear and a buddy or 2 plus a windy day....you will be glad to have the little bit extra....they make several types of trolling plates as well for 50 and up and 40 and lower....cheers

I have 40hp 4 stroke on my 626lb lund, and i had to put a trolling plate on the motor,well man that works great and doesnt affect any performance or things like that,how ever it does affect the steering a little bit but its manageable for sure...oh ya mine is a tiller ....its always better to get a little more HP...as long as you dont go over what the boat is rated for,by the time you get all your gear and a buddy or 2 plus a windy day....you will be glad to have the little bit extra....they make several types of trolling plates as well for 50 and up and 40 and lower....cheers

Yep, me too. I installed a trolling plate on mine as well, works great.

My 40 will troll down to about 2.2 MPH, but with a bucket in tow, I get 1.5. If I need to go slower than that I use my electric. I should really get a trolling plate as well.......but, It would be no good for the spots I duck hunt.

A 25 should be no prob though....

SInker

I have a starcaft futura 18' with a 115 hp optima, it fouls plugs up if I try trolling with it. So I bought a 9.9 Mercury 4 Stroke runs great and can go very slow or troll with the downriggers. The Boat and Motor's weight is over 2000 lbs.

Guest gbfisher

I troll with a 225 4 stroke Yamaha. I have a 9.9 4 stroke Yamaha as well for SLOW trolling pickerel but when the winds come up I use the big motor to troll for them.

I use the big motor for Musky and Salmon as well. Great engines.

hope this helps!!!