re the threads on all the salmon river fishing

aniceguy

What a joke. "Guiding" the rape hole at record low flow for decomposing chinooks. Any real steelheader wouldn't even think of fishing that spot in these conditions. But hey, to each their own I guess, whatever makes you feel like a champ :clapping:

AHAAHAH. If by guiding you mean talking out folks that are starting out in exchange for a quick session, then you should feel like a champ. I know I would. I wouldn't exactly call that guiding though. LOL

PM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It works,right Pete ;)B)

I use to see guys thrash through the river and not even know what they were doing ie:stepping in and distroying a laid bed.They would also see a couple of salmon swaying back and forth thinking theres an easy snag,yet what they didnt know,they were pulling them off the beds.Thats the only thing I see wrong. As for them dieing,yep they will,then they will stink the river up to high heavens.

Take and eat so they say. I say be my guest.

I havent fished the credit in probly 20 years. Is there anyone here that fished it in the late 70,s earlly 80,s and are still fishing it? I would like to hear if you have found the number of salmon (chinnys) dropping or still the same. Im thinking they are probly close to the same,but there are way more fisher people.

what is your source? i understand *some* natural reproduction occurs but the actual percentage is more like 1%.

Hey Raf what up bud?

Im thinking when they get up to the streetsville area where it "use" to be santuary,not sure if that has changed or not,there has to be some reproduction going on up there. It use to hold the largest rainbow spawn I had ever seen.

Thats about the only place I think the number could be higher.Other then that area and any other that is closed,it,s a total loss. IMO.

Brian I started fishing it in the early 80's first at my dads side when the dam at streetsville and went from there. There are less nooks now then in those days partially due to less fish stocked, less stray's and a loss of access to habitat due to a management plan not allowing them above streetsville now.

Edited by aniceguy

Does anyone here remember back a couple of years ago when I had memntioned about ROTATING CLOSURES of the main tribs????????????????????????????

Might be something to think about,and yes I understand there is not enough manpower out there to inforce this ,but I really do think it would work and help the repoduction.

Just thought for conversation.

Edited by misfish

One of my favourite salmon experiences was fishing a creek with Sleded last year. It was late october and we were fishing steelhead. Sleded was casting a Cleo in a pool when this salmon came out of a logjam and smashed it. It chased the spoon probably 5 feet upstream before hitting, 3 of us witnessed it.

S4021888.jpg

But nope, they don't eat.

Theres a big difference between educating people and ranting.

Although you had many good points in which I agree 100% the way it came out

was a little to touchy feely for me (if ya catch my drift, not literally) :Gonefishing:

Ive often wondered why folks dont print up some flyers and post them around

local tribs....maybe hand a bunch out to some folks who are fishing the river.

wow quite the response there Milty......solo ya think I might have drifted some of these rivers before lots were even born lol.......Milty low baseflow rivers that have immense pressure differ from say the geen the notty maybe even the nine ( which is comparable to the Credit) maybe the sauble or even some of the smaller ( even smaller say then bowmanville.) rivers Many a day on the Notty where the nook bite was unreal 55 to 60 degree water unmolested fish chompin fresh bags like its going out of style heck where you dont even have to move off the tin house because the bite was wicked. Too bad the access to the minnising is closed off the road as some true bush wacking in there for some serious unmolested fish used to be had. Now that was bush wacking and timber tussling

But and here is the but.....low to mid gradient rivers with the angling pressure these urban streams recieve with darkend up pre spawn fish that are in thermally stressed water with minimal base flow differs from say a fresh fish out of the notty or in the graveyard anyone with common sense knows that and certainly can dicephier between the two scenerio's but thanks for the education...

Now I guess you missed the point that we are talking Lake O tribs and in specific bowmanville but hey who am I to argue with a consumate angler who has been there done that.....

louis Milo

The point was about all of the comments that said and up river nooks wont Hit,..and there were many of those comments on this and other threads,..congrats,..I was talking about the Notty specifically,..not sure about what tin roof you mean,..but there are literally hundreds of access points to fish the notty,..this was my first time on that little lake O trib and Probably the last,....but perhaps YOU missed my point, but unwittingly confirmed it at the same time...Way to go...lol

What a joke. "Guiding" the rape hole at record low flow for decomposing chinooks. Any real steelheader wouldn't even think of fishing that spot in these conditions. But hey, to each their own I guess, whatever makes you feel like a champ :clapping:

Its funny that Noone considers fishing this hole ethical,..but everyone knows it...LOL... :rolleyes: ,..personally it was my first and last time there,..but fun none the less,..for what ever its worth AGAIN,..all fish were caught legit,..and released,..Beleive what you want!!! PS,..noone was guiding anybody,..dont even know where that came from!!!

Edited by Milty

I just don't see why people want to catch fish that already look dead by the time you reel them in. Fishing for salmon at piers and mouths of rivers is ok as the fish usually have some colour and life to them still and haven't yet been beat up by the rocks and brush of the rivers and creeks . IMO once they hit the creek rivers and especially the creek-sized rivers, they should be left alone to do their thing. I know they will bite/attack spoons and other baits when they are entering the rivers but trying to get a near dead fish to EAT your lure in a pool the size of a hot tub and 3 feet deep is probably about as likely as having a carp randomly decide to chase and eat your spoon. I just don't understand why ppl enjoy the act of catching fish that look like they are rotten/decaying. It must just be for the overall size/weight of the fish to impress others. I mean, if you were to show a pic of a river/creek salmon to your uncle who doesn't fish or your grandmother they would probably think that you caught the fish of a lifetime. In reality, the fish is near death and most likely could be kicked onto shore and merely picked up. A few years ago I visited Bronte creek for the first time and was amazed at the literally hundreds of dead salmon along the creek that were in piles all over the place where people had clearly stood over small pools and snagged fish, slit the bellies, taken the eggs, and then threw them into piles 1 foot from shore in the water and as well scattered them all over the shore I guess that's fishing...

Lures up river,..lol,..thats called snagging,...try 4lb floro leads with #14 hooks with roe etc...