JUMPING SALMON

DMASSE

NAte

I usually look the part when I am taking RAVEN promo shots... Its not quite the same effect with just a shirt and no vest.... Plus my brown shirt ws dirty and had a tee shirt underneath, what the problem...

As as for the cooment about the "RAPE HOLE" shot, It was behind the pool where you dont see the PIPE...

Dave

Edited by DMASSE

Who would be envious of dirty half rotten salmon way upstream. Knowing Nater personally, he's an avid steelheader and everything he knows about salmon and steelhead comes from the years he has fishing for them on his belt.

I could understand if you haven't caught a salmon ever in your life before.. but Im pretty sure that 'avid' steelheaders such as D Masse himself know that salmon mean nothing to them. Why do you think I spend over fifty bucks on hooks a month once the steelhead are in with the salmon? I hook a salmon and snap it right off. I sure wouldn't like to deal with a half deteriorated tail and milt all over my breathables, especially all the bonus hooks you get with landing a salmon. It could sure send you into the EM if you do happen to get caught up in that treble hook.

Some say they hit out of agression and everything and I believe that because I have seen a salmon hit a shiny streamer before, but more than half the time you are 'flossing' them in the mouth, this is exactly like the pier marshmallowing technique. I have taken friends who have never caught salmon to that hole recently shown in the pictures above. They came out quite happy with the results, but they have understood what I was teaching them and they began to understand the concept of 'lining' or 'flossing' which makes tributary salmon fishing quite different, especially when you hook in the dorsals and other parts of the body more than half the time.

Bring on the fish that actually take a roebag or a fly for a change. BRING ON THE STEELHEAD!

Just my 0.02 cents,

Bojangles

Bojangles

2 Years ago I would have believed the statement that you made about salmon not hitting in the creeks. But I have seen Salmon both Chinneys and cohos chase flies, and I did a presentation for a group of people usuing minnow patterns flies and they saw with there oun eyes....

The problem with floating for salmon, and you will see this alot. The guy lining, flossing etc etc, with the big hooks and the big split shot, running the line in the mouth....

I am not sure if you have ever been to the spot on the pic, the hole is about 9 feet deep in the centre, and you drift a decent lead, but no means bottom bouncing...

On tuesday We went with Bowshep, Milty and Yellow14 and 90% we infact in the mouth and including the steelhead and the coho's we caught...

I seldon use roe and flies and jigs usualy perform for me... and if foul you break

Dave

Those are really neat pics Dave, who cares if you had sex with the fish and had to change after ;):lol:

Joey

OMG you are so close to what actually happened. LOL

The name I call Dave in order to get that nice smile out of him has to do with just that....starts with an "R". too funny

And Yes Roy...I am keeping some pics secret...ammo for later.

Glad you like the pics Dave...they turned out pretty darn good.

Who would be envious of dirty half rotten salmon way upstream. Knowing Nater personally, he's an avid steelheader and everything he knows about salmon and steelhead comes from the years he has fishing for them on his belt.

I could understand if you haven't caught a salmon ever in your life before.. but Im pretty sure that 'avid' steelheaders such as D Masse himself know that salmon mean nothing to them. Why do you think I spend over fifty bucks on hooks a month once the steelhead are in with the salmon? I hook a salmon and snap it right off. I sure wouldn't like to deal with a half deteriorated tail and milt all over my breathables, especially all the bonus hooks you get with landing a salmon. It could sure send you into the EM if you do happen to get caught up in that treble hook.

Some say they hit out of agression and everything and I believe that because I have seen a salmon hit a shiny streamer before, but more than half the time you are 'flossing' them in the mouth, this is exactly like the pier marshmallowing technique. I have taken friends who have never caught salmon to that hole recently shown in the pictures above. They came out quite happy with the results, but they have understood what I was teaching them and they began to understand the concept of 'lining' or 'flossing' which makes tributary salmon fishing quite different, especially when you hook in the dorsals and other parts of the body more than half the time.

Bring on the fish that actually take a roebag or a fly for a change. BRING ON THE STEELHEAD!

Just my 0.02 cents,

Bojangles

Thanks BJ for your $0.02,..I think everyone here cept the newbies to fishing in general already knows alot of what your saying with lining and flossing etc.......'BRING ON THE STEALHEAD' is about the most useful part of your post,..no offence. Now consider the facts,...this was my first time fishing with DMasse,..and While I thought I was a pretty good river Angler,..I can tell you this,..Dave Schooled everyone at that hole,..hands down, bar none!!! With about 10 guys standing around this hole (not my cup of tea by any means)...Dmasse hooked into (legit hook-ups) 90% of the fish out of everyone there and every one was in the mouth (Nooks, Cohos & steelhead). Now get out your calculator and do the stats,..and figure out those odds!!! The funniest part is that he actually left for a long while cuz he felt bad as most of the time the rest of us watched him fight Fish. I am by no means telling anyone his secret, but maybe some of the youngens that are decent anglers, can take a slice of humble pie and realize,..They DONT KNOW EVERYTHING!!! Way to go Dave!!!

Just my 0.02 cents,

Bojangles

I'm not a huge fan of salmon fishing once they've entered small trib's like that, but it is fun

and a good means of harvesting eggs for the real fishing later in the fall.

Many of these fish are indeed flossed, but don't kid yourself, they definitely do hit...no doubt about that, especially when they first enter the river.

Floatfishing the piers/estuaries/breakwalls with skein chunks can be electrifying as well. No doubt

about the takedowns there, they're absolutely savage.

I'll be hitting one of the western trib's myself tomorrow....scuzzy old boots or not, they're going

to be there in numbers with this rain and I guarantee you they'll be hitting aggresively. ;)

I've schooled guys at that hole, twelve of my fish hooked LEGIT to their one in 20 minutes which was either snagged or legit luckily... what are you trying to prove here Milty? I never said I knew everything, but I fish alot to know exactly what I'm doing compared to the majority of others on the rivers. I'm pretty sure I could get a Raven sponsorship too, only if I had enough time to fish.. especially if I had a set of wheels....:rolleyes:

Dave I never said they don't hit, read through my last post and you'll see what I said some do hit out of agression, but not all. Nine feet deep in there? I'd think twice about that.

Legit hook up's 90% of the time? What about the other 10%... this is why I would rather fish steelhead because the hookup's are near 100% all the time, unless you do rip the hook at the end of your drift foul-hooking one. Salmon fishing up river is a joke in my opinion. I'll go to get my roe for the season and thats about it... but other then that you'll rarely see me target salmon other than those staging in the late summer.

My 0.02 CDN.

Edited by Bojangles

LOL off BJ,..I think you just made my point,...lol,...One day,..perhaps when your old enough too drive you might understand!!! Its funny though,..how I remember you posting on another site that you always go to certain Tribs in Sept for Nooks to get eggs,.....if you can get your mom to drive you of course....lol.....interesting,..indeeed!!!!

FYI,..i think the point of his post was the action shots.... :whistling:

HMMM Well, I was under the impression that you didn't need a driver's license to fish. As far as changing clothes is concerned (personal opinion) I doubt that Raven would/could use any of those shots for publicity. I'll lock this one down only because I have things to do tonight and I haven't the time to babysit the thread. Talk quietly amongst yourselves.