Weedless leader?

dschuurm

Hi out there,

This is my first time trying this, so be easy please.

I like to fish for bass in a very weedy lake that also contains pike. When I use a steel leader, I often hull in weeds and disrupt the fish. I am not a big fan of spinnerbaits. When I don't use a leader, I lose a lot of pike as you could guess :wallbash: .

Is there some sort of leader out there that is more weedless than the typical steel clip ons with swivels and all?

Thanks,

Make your own with flourocarbon.

Mine are weedless.

BPS can supply the raw materials.

Fishheadric did a "how to" on this awhile ago

Get 80# flourocarbon line and some 60-90lb. sleeves.

Get some good crimping pliers and you're set!

Hi out there,

This is my first time trying this, so be easy please.

I like to fish for bass in a very weedy lake that also contains pike. When I use a steel leader, I often hull in weeds and disrupt the fish. I am not a big fan of spinnerbaits. When I don't use a leader, I lose a lot of pike as you could guess :wallbash: .

Is there some sort of leader out there that is more weedless than the typical steel clip ons with swivels and all?

Thanks,

We've been experimenting with single strands of picture hanging wire. Unravel the individual pieces of the twisted wire. Select the one that catches yer fancy. Make it as long as you can handle on the cast. Bend a clean edged loop on the line end and twist it securely around itself making certain the cut end of the wire is facing the lure or bait and has no burrs. On the lure end wind it till secure, then make sure you bend the wire end toward the lure. This stuff is fairly malleable and can be bent directly onto the lure eye. It sounds hokey but it works fine. If done right there are no catchy places for the weeds to get a grip. If you can't find the right kind of wire, let me know and I'll ask my artist fishing buddy what the wire is. I only know he said it was picture hanging wire and it works. If tied/wound carefully there are no sharp edges to catch the weeds and the pike can't bite thru it.

JF

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for replying to a faceless, newbie stranger and answering my question. I will look into these replies and try to report back with the results.

Maybe I should also try to put a photo up somtime. I got a kick out of your creative photo profiles.

thanks,

Dan

We used to use airplane grade aerlon wire and unravel it and use the single strands much like johnF does with picture wire but this stuff is very flexable and easy to work with as long as you are using pliers. Oh yeah did I mention it is very STRONG.

vance