Week Summary - Salmon Report - New

ccmtcanada

Very kewl! I have a question though.

Would love to have the canoe here myself so I could access the outside of the mud line. Do I need lights on a canoe? Or can I get away with just a head light. I fish just on the outside of the Toronto Harbour, so do I still need mount lights??

Love the chinis when they're still in the lake. I've stopped going to the rivers this time of years because I'm afraid what scene awaits me when I reach the water.. You've given me some inspiration though!!

cheers!

HD

Great report Cliff. Congrats on getting them from the canoe...Salmon fishing from a canoe is something I've always wanted to try with my own. Hopefully my dad is game for trying something like that.

I first need some lights and method of propulsion before I go out there with my canoe. I got the battery charger on my cross-border shopping trip but no trolling motor and battery yet.

The current out of your normal trib is ferocious and scary near the point we were fishing. Further out should be OK. And of course you get Cleos zinging over your head out there. It's frightening to think that a big salmon can drag you out into the big lake to Rochester if you motor goes silent. :whistling:

Do I need lights on a canoe? Or can I get away with just a head light. I fish just on the outside of the Toronto Harbour, so do I still need mount lights??

Love the chinis when they're still in the lake. I've stopped going to the rivers this time of years because I'm afraid what scene awaits me when I reach the water.. You've given me some inspiration though!!

cheers!

HD

Yes...you do need lights. We bought the 2 colour bow light and a stern light that sits up about 18". You can get both at Canadian Tire....battery operated.

Awesome job again! You are going to need a set of pontoons to stabilize that canoe if you are catching fish like that, and float bags to keep you above the water line! Congrats! I love fishing from the canoe. Very natural experience.

I did make a home made stabilizing bar....pictured here....It goes off one side and is very stable. I can stand up in the canoe without any problems at all!!! I debated on putting one on either side, but decided against it because I wanted one full side open to land the fish.

05itworks.jpg

I first need some lights and method of propulsion before I go out there with my canoe. I got the battery charger on my cross-border shopping trip but no trolling motor and battery yet.

LOL lazybum...I do have a trolling motor for mine. I figure since it's a 30lb thrust motor and I'm using 20 pound line, I shouldn't have to worry about been towed to Rochester...haha.

Edited by ccmtcanada

So it is possible to land a big one in a canoe! Ken and I fished from the canoe and he was able to get 3 but they were small and I was thankful for that cuz I sure wasn't ready for the big ones. I do love the stabilizer - great idea. Congrats and once again I am learning much from you - great report.