Buying from the US

fishnsled

I think that we've all order something from BPS or Cabelas at some point in time. I'm wondering if there has been anyone making a major purchase like a truck, boat or sled. With the dollar being what it is and after surfing the net, I found that I can buy a truck for about 10g's less then what I would pay for it up here, even after duty and taxes. Any thoughts?

Edited by fishnsled

My father-in-laws friend does that all the time, without any issues.

He will fly down, and drive his "new" vehicle back.

He picked up a 2006 canyon for $6,000. he just had to put a new bed on the back (couple thousand), and it was like a brand new truck.

Not a bad deal for around $8,000ish.

I say go for it!

With that money your going to save, feel free to put a down payment on a nice new 21 ft. Ranger for me!

watch buying from BPS, UPS act a broker and "WILL" screw you for big bucks

a friend bought a car from Cal. and saved big bucks, said it was easy

just make use whatever state you buy it from has the same standards as Ontario or you will be installing driving lights or emission stuff , but you can find out all that stuff before hand...good luck

Boats are the real deal from the US, but you need to know your boats and be able to determine if the motor is any good as they run boats 365 days a year down there, unlike the 3-6 months we get up here.

When buying a boat you pay gst and pst on the boat, gst and 209 dollar inspection fee on the trailer and there is no duty if both were made in the USA. You need manufacturer slips for the trailer., bill of sale seperate for both and titles for both unless the boat comes from a title options state like North Carolina.

Once my boat sells I will be buying my new boat from the US.

Good timing on this subject I was thinking about this last night as the wife`s truck is getting a little tired.

Apparently there has been a lot of cross border shopping for big ticket items such as cars apparently the biggest hurdle you will face is finding a US dealer that will sell you a vehicle.From what I understand it`s not all that difficult to bring a car in but there are some rules the web site RVI.ca will have the answers.I have read numerous stories of dealerships being ordered by the factory not to sell to Canadians in order to protect there gouging Canadian dealers.

A couple of things to keep in mind if the car is not made in North America you will have to pay duty and of course you still have to pay GST and PST and one other thing to clarify some companies will not honor warranties on a car that is brought over the border that however might be a gamble worth taking if you can save 20K on a truck.

Buying from US, still left with a couple of quesitons:

NYS has an 8% sales tax....will they refund it? How about Michigan?

Does GST and PST apply to a used boat too?

How about a motor? Are the US warranties the same as the Canadian ones?

Would getting someone from the states bring it up here and sell the boat to me on this side of the border work?

stuntman