NF Insulating Crawlspace

joonmoon

Have spent the last few days researching how to properly insulate a crawlspace. Our kitchen, diningroom, livingroom and front foyer all have cold floors most of the winter. I would like to save a few bucks and do the work myself provided I can get some good advice. My best choice right now is to sprayfoam the ceiling in the crawlspace and that would warm our tile floors considerably up stairs on the main floor. I have found multiple contractors that can do it but I'm pretty sure they are all big enough bucks that I couldn't afford to have it done right now. So, during my research I have found a diy sprayfoam that seems reasonably priced and wondered if anyone has ever tried it? The product is Tigerfoam, and I don't wish to post the web site because my intention was not to spam but for some user insight on a seemingly decent new product. If you wanna check it out I'm sure you could find it. There is a distributor here in Kitchener and I plan to check it out on Thursday. Has anyone got any experiences or advice with regards to sprayfoaming as insulation in a crawlspace? Thanks in advance. B)

I'm doing that now but it's not enuff and I would like to cut my heating costs some as well. The sills on the outside foundation walls need to be insulated anyway, and if this is as good as it says it is then I stand a chance to save 30% on energy bills. I should be able to do it for approx $800-900 and get that back in 3-4 yrs.

The foam is good because you don't need vapour barrier, and you don't need air space. What it adds up to is more room for insulation, and less cost on vapour barrier. Most new homes with rooms over the garages have the dropped ceilings in the garage sprayed with foam.

I'm not familiar with the product you want to use, but I would definitly use the expanding foam to insulate under there. Whatever the cost, it will pay for itself over and over.

At our cottage, I used the pink closed cell foam between the floor joists. I put 2 layers of 2" foam all the way through. I got it for free, so price was not a thought, but it made a HUGE difference. Now the floor is always warm, and we don't use as much wood in the stove.

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

go to nearest home depot, they have all kind of workshops that teach people how to renovate their own homes. i think in one or two weeks they have a workshop at hwy7 and yonge home depot on how to renovate basement, the insulation part should be included too, besides you wil learn other new things as well.

http://diy.homedepot.ca/diy/project.jsp?pi...ection=overview

http://diy.homedepot.ca/diy/seminar.jsp?langId=-15

Edited by drwxr

Thanks sinker. The sprayfoam is ideal because it fills all the nook and crannies and yes no vapour barrier needed. I may use it in the recroom when we reno it and prolly in the basement bathroom as well. The lack of condensation build up and no need for the vapour barrier in the basement bathroom will be a huge savings in $ and time. This Tigerfoam is also a great soundproofer and easy to use. Its fire retardant and well bla bla bla I'm pretty sure its the way to go. Might even try it to fill the 2x4 cavities in the walls on the rest of the house too.

Edited by joonmoon

Joonmoon I was in the exact same scenario as you a couple of years ago. I was told not to insulate the bottom of the floors instead insulate the crawl space walls with spray foam. I had a contractor do the spraying and it worked great. Floors are much warmer and I used electric wraps for my water piping in the winter and no longer need them, they cost more than your heating costs for the season.

Hey Misfish I know what ya mean by not cheap by the can...thats why I went today to see this Tigerfoam stuff. It comes in two 20lb propane look-a-like tanks...that mix with water and air and together in the spray gun and become the liquid that forms foam that expands...much the way the stuff in the can for around windows and doors does....just on a larger quantity scale. The product I'm lookin at has 600 board foot coverage at approx 1" to give a vapour seal and an R7-R10 depending on my capabilities to spray evenly...practice makes perfect insulation. It comes as a kit with everything I need. Can't wait to giver a try. ;)

Joonmoon I was in the exact same scenario as you a couple of years ago. I was told not to insulate the bottom of the floors instead insulate the crawl space walls with spray foam. I had a contractor do the spraying and it worked great. Floors are much warmer and I used electric wraps for my water piping in the winter and no longer need them, they cost more than your heating costs for the season.

Exactly the waqy it should be dfone and don't forget to do the sapce between the floor joists atleast 18" from the end of each bay.

One word of caution as I have seen it more then once... ensure you have bridging between your floor joists! Foam insulation is great... but it is STRONG! I have seen more TJI's and joists twisted and warped due to the pressure Sprayfoam can place on the substructure.. especially by novices... I have seen companies have to use saw-z-alls to relieve the pressure off the joists. Foam insulation is a great choice! Just be sure to do the proper prep beforehand incase you over spray in the joist cavity...

Gerritt.