Making Your Own

Jen

Since I got back into fishing I have discovered just how very expensive it is... not only the rods and reels you use but everything that goes along with them, from lures to lines.

After a shopping trip to that big box store out in Vaughn with a couple of people from here I decided that I would look for a better way to fill my tackle box. Apart from getting a job in a tackle store - which isn't so feasible as I already have a job, I started investigating making my own lures... and the cost is much more reasonable... (you have to realize having three kids means you lose half your tackle box everytime you go fishing, although it is definately worth every penny) Instead of arts and crafts with the kids around the kitchen table these days I lay out fishing line, hand them each a couple of hooks a box of beads and blades and together we make lures... this has been a ton of fun. Thank goodness I don't have girls or they would be using all my beautiful beads to make necklaces and bracelettes.

Fishmaster has been a great help in showing me how to tie my own lures. I didn't know there were so many kinds of knots and which ones would work for each application... it is a huge learning curve. In his store he has all the items you need to fill your box with your own creations at a reasonable cost ... and presently if you don't feel like tieing your own there is a huge sale on Walleye stuff. Needless to say I am estatic when catching walleye on something I have made myself.

I now have a new shimano water proof tackle box to match my gortex rain gear (come on fall , I am ready) and with the 30% off sale Fishmasters bait and tackle is having I got a great deal. Thanks Steve :)

Now filling it will be a challenge... Want outweighs need in this case and I want every colour of the rainbow when it comes to blades and beads. (There is still some girl left in me)

Will post a picture of some of my harnesses shortly.

Cheers and enjoy

Jen

yes jen...its amazing to make your own,harnesses i have been making & selling my own for over 20yrs,its great to know that everyone i make is a one of a kind....and i have made some colors of beads & blades that will just about outfish everything in certain bodys of water,because i fish them all the time you get to know what colors will be the best,and it saves you a ton of money in the long run....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Good for you Jen, I think it's wonderful that you get the kids invlolved, it will be something that they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Fishmaster; really good to see you taking the time to teach others about the outdoors. Good on ya!

Cute story (but true). Several years ago a friend invited me to fish with him and his son on Quinty. The only worm harnesse I had was dark green and at one point I got snagged and and it broke. I had some blades and beeds in my box and some heavy line so I made a harness, only thing was I didn't have much to work with so there was a pink blade, a blue blade, and a yellow blade..... can't remember what colour beeds were on it. My friend, Ruby started to laugh when he saw it, he called it Cliffie's "christmas tree"!

He stopped laughing when I ended up with 11 walleye and they had 4 between them LOL. He still talks about it to this day.