Mountsberg

gimby

Hey guys new to the forum and i was just wondering if anyone has any tips for fishing mountsberg we will be fishing shore unfortunately we dont have acess to a boat we are mainly targeting bass and pike just wondering if any one has any tips

Thanks Josh :Gonefishing:

You might have some luck at Mountsberg, but fishing there is tough from shore. Now that the water levels are down and the weeds are up it will be even harder. My advice would be don't try and skip the fee, the C.O's are always around and the fines are in the $60 range. Better to pay the $10. Get yourself a canoe and try again in the spring when pike opens, then you'll get into some real good numbers and possibly a fish over 30". Good luck.

Hey there you should start by introducing yourself before you start asking people for advice. Tell us baot yourself and your interests and people will be eager to help or give you tips. Just my 2 cents. Anyways Welcome to the board.

As I hang my head in shame at your post, :blush: I realize that I had not posted any introductory messages about myself.

Mid 40's, boatless (for now), am unable to fish as often as I want to but am finding more time. 4 teens, and work as a carpenter.

I have never fished there, but there are some surprisingly big pike, not just hammerhandles. A friend of mine caught a pike there this year that I'm guessing had to be close to 40 inches(he was in a boat). I assume the norm is lots of hammerhandles though, a fish like his would be quite rare...especially now that he ate it (just kidding, it was released)

Been there a few times. Some successful,some not. One day me and my friend LJ both caught three footers (pike). If I were you I'd park at the dam and walk down the tracks. Fish on the conservation area side by the big drainage pipe (the kind you always see in culverts). Lots of panfish in there and usually pike roaming looking for panfish on good days. Both of the bigger pike were caught on topwater baits. Mine was a BPS topknocker (black and silver+ loud rattles). Jediangler, if you fish on the opposite side of the tracks, do you still need to pay? I remember something about a "donation" box being in the reserve parking area? Oh yeah .... bring a garbage bag. The place was a pigsty (this place is a perfect example of why fisherman get a bad name).

I fished there once many years ago, will never venture there again. I witnessed the most bizarre method of fishing. Around 10 people fishing on big innertubes (about 6) with 2 or 3 big baskets , inner tubes were all tied together. they would catch a fish , no matter size/species, went into the big baskets, than two guys from shore would paddle out in a canoe and grab a basket at a time. They would than bring it to shore and a few woman would carry it off to a few other men/women and they would clean/gut? them. than they would be tansferred off to a another group that had a fire going and they cooked em up i'm guessing.this assembly line went on for several hours as the adults did the work, the kids were running rampant throughout the area. I thought, jeez, if this happens every weekend, this place is gonna be fishless real fast. Don't know if anyone else has seen this assembly line of sorts at other places but it sure looks like a great way to destroy a whole conservation area :dunno:

Yeah you have to pay on the other side. It's cheaper to go to the gatehouse and pay, then put the stub in your window and drive around to the other side. They have envelopes and a drop box. When they come to collect the envelopes they go around the parking lot and check for the stub in your window. I once saw a guy get fined for putting Canadian tire money in the envelope instead of cash. If they really wanted to collect some cash they would go a week before pike opens and fine all the poachers that fish there before the season opens. I went a week early to check water levels last year and there were at least a dozen people fishing, some with live minnows. They all knew that they were fishing illegally because when they saw me coming they all had guilty looks on their faces.

well fishing was terrible super shallow n very weedy many fish were jumping out in unreachable parts of the lake from shore after my uncle drove use to this spot on the grand and we followed a hikeing trail in and got into some deacent smallmouth bass unfourtunatly we forgot the camera i dont think i will go to mountsberg again boatless

Hey there you should start by introducing yourself before you start asking people for advice. Tell us baot yourself and your interests and people will be eager to help or give you tips. Just my 2 cents. Anyways Welcome to the board.

I think we need to take it easy on the new guys and gals around here, especially the young 'un's! When I was 15 Mike, full of p**s and v*****r, I wouldn't have even thought about introducing myself first and then I prolly would have told you where to insert your advice............

Just my .002 too..............

Welcome gimby, hope you enjoy it around here.

John...

DO NOT WALK DOWN THE TRACKS!!!!!........my cousin and aunt both got 125$ trespassing fines for being on the tracks which belong to CN rail I believe......but just cast in front of the dam.......you should get some action

WOW! Everytime I've been there I've walked down the tracks. Okay I think that's only four times, but everyone was doing it. I guess they don't want to hit somebody, but unless you were totally brain dead it'd never happen. It's so easy to get off and you can see/hear the train coming for half a mile. Probably just another cash grab. bucketmouthjohnny . Ive never seen fishing like that, but there is usually a "white bucket brigade" presence where everything that moves goes into the bucket. We actually gave them a mortally wounded pike one day. It was a goner,so it may as well be used. Gimby. When/where it's really weedy we switch to topwater and although not always successful, it sure is a blast when it is.

Edited by kennyman

kennyman, that's good to know that it was probably a one time event that i witnessed albeit several years ago. I could just imagine if this huge gathering showed up once a weekend and did this, there would be no way a small area like that could sustain that pressure for to long.

ps, step on the track, break your momma's back :D