1974 Evinrude 9.9 whats it worth

GNODDY

Depends on how it runs and the appearance. If it is clean and not abused then it is worth something. Searches for used outboards on the net say that somewhere between 500 and $800. Don't forget that when that motor was new it would have been under a grand. If you can get anything over 300 bucks for it you are doing OK.

If you haven't any use for it why hang onto it? Sell it and put the funds toward some new gear.

I traded in a 70's something 4.5 hp Merc a couple of years ago and they gave me a bit better than 300 or so for it.

If you are selling it for a hundred bucks then guys will be knocking down your door for it! If it runs OK I'll give you a hundred for it and make a buck or 2. 9.9 motors are a hot item!

Edited by pikehunter

If you are selling it for a hundred bucks then guys will be knocking down your door for it

that's the point...everyone wants a deal, but nobody is going to pay top dollar for a motor that's over 30 years old (unless its a collectors item). $100 is low risk potentially high reward - no brainer. Now find the guy a buyer who would pay significantly more, not so easy.

Condition is everything. The 9.9 Johnson/Evinrude is about the most sought after motor there is. You will have no trouble selling it in the $400-500 price range assuming its in reasonable shape. Top dollar would be $600, but it would have to be in superior condition. $200 would be the bottom. I'd probably list it at $450, but take $400.

I should also add that this is a terrible time to sell an outboard. Lots of buyers looking for an end of season deal, but also lots a motors going cheap. If you list it and can't get your price then hold it until spring. Just as many buyers and motors then, but fewer sellers willing to drop their prices - IMO

Edited by boatman