Freshwater Jellyfish

jjcanoe

Ok here's the story, I'm away on vacation and have a tube dropped to the bottom for bass, I happen to look down in the water and see this floating by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_jellyfish

So I scoop it up in a bucket and bring it back to the cottage, transfer it to a cleaned out spaghetti sauce jar and plan to bring it by the university when I get home a few days later. Watched it eat a few mosquito larvae in the meantime (really cool) Ended up talking to a friend who is in charge of the Invading Species Hotline. She was able to identify it for me and said it was very rare but not unheard of in Ontario, just a handfull of reported sightings, and a native species to boot! Kinda neat to capture a very rare thing!

I'll try and post a pic of it when I get some free time. My brother sent me this wikapedia entry he found on it.

jjcanoe

About 3 weeks ago I was on Grass Lake in Haliburton. The water was virtually filled with those. I guessed at the time that a 5 gallon bucket of that lake water would have had 50 small jellyfish in it and the entire water column - I could see down about 8 feet - looked to be that dense. First time in 20 years up here that I have seen them.

What I love is that in here New Jersey you have to be careful when remove sea weeds for your line/hooks the jelly fish will be on there too and you can't see them . I've swam through a school of them while surfing and it does hurt , but I've never seen fresh water jellies. COOL

Edited by ALEX

seeing one is concidered to be a sign of good luck.

That is the last line of the link that was posted. If seeing one is good luck, just imagine what owning one as a pet might be good for! go buy some lottery tickets and share the winnings with your friends at OFC (or at least me since I recommended it :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:)