Port Credit Pier Salmon Fishing

mikeymikey

Not too much to say other than that I went to fish at the Mouth of Credit River and result was excellent!

It was early in the morning still dark. I just gave a quick zap with my head led light to my cleo. Made my first cast and BooM!! First cast, First salmon of 2007. It sure felt good again to hear the drag scream and watch fishing jumping around.

So here it is...

1341324301_379034130f.jpg

-

Boeing 777

1356092795_f55f63ab3c_b.jpg

Edited by mikeymikey

Now the sad part.

I failed to revive the fish and it wasn't able to swim away. It did gave a few kicks so I let it go and within close reach it floated back up.

My question is, if I did not let it go and fish was not able to revive again...

what would be a proper thing to do with this fish?

Not necessarily Louis, check the consumption guidelines for Chinook salmon.

No fish over 26" is to be consumed. That fish is certainly over 26". I'll agree though, it is a grey area and an ethics question. Do you keep fishing for fish that you tire to death???

If the fish was that exhausted, you may want to consider beefing up your equipment to be able to land the fish quicker. Also, warm water temperatures may have played a role as well.

Tony

If the fish was that exhausted, you may want to consider beefing up your equipment to be able to land the fish quicker. Also, warm water temperatures may have played a role as well.

Tony

I gears are 10'0" Medium + PowerPro 30lb and I don't worry about line breaking so I pull in the fish fast & hard other than when it goes for a run.

Should I be considering a Medium-Heavy rod ? Any good alternative rod which is atleast 9+foot long?

From what I have seen most of people at pier don't use beefy enough rods. Than again I haven't seen any of them caught one to see how they fight the fish.

Edited by mikeymikey

who cares if it died...Water is warm and fish is near the end of it's life anyways. One less fish to rott on the side of the river. No sense loosing sleep over a dead salmon

Nate

as a person that thinks conservation is important, and the fact that I value life (No I am not a tree hugger) I find your comment the exact opposite of what most fishermen on this board would think..

It is unfortunate that the fish died and was not consumed... it happens and is part of fishing..

but to be so callous saying " who cares if it died " is just wrong in my opinion.

Gerritt.

first off new to the board just wanted say HI. I usually fish bass and never fished salmon before. A buddy and I are thinking of going out tomorrow. Was just wondering how far north (upstream) we can go on our major rivers like humber, credit, bronte and still except to get some action?

I gears are 10'0" Medium + PowerPro 30lb and I don't worry about line breaking so I pull in the fish fast & hard other than when it goes for a run.

Should I be considering a Medium-Heavy rod ? Any good alternative rod which is atleast 9+foot long?

From what I have seen most of people at pier don't use beefy enough rods. Than again I haven't seen any of them caught one to see how they fight the fish.

I use a 10'6" medium Heavy Quantum IM8 Stealheader, 12-25lb test when the salmon are near the mouth of lake O tribs and it works great,..I run 15-17lb maxima Ultra green main and a 12lb flouro leader and It turns those nookies,....up river its back to the 12'6" ultra-lite 4-8lb

as a person that thinks conservation is important, and the fact that I value life (No I am not a tree hugger) I find your comment the exact opposite of what most fishermen on this board would think..

It is unfortunate that the fish died and was not consumed... it happens and is part of fishing..

but to be so callous saying " who cares if it died " is just wrong in my opinion.

Gerritt.

agreed

Mikey...whats with the red shoes?????

What's wrong with red? I've got yellow & blue too. White or Black just ain't colorful.

-----

Oh and I don't think I am not going to replace my rod just to hope that I can revive very few unlucky fish.

Edited by mikeymikey