Lure kits?

Toronto_Angler

Hi All,

I'm looking to build up my lure repertoire and was thinking of grabbing a couple of kits from Basspro (31 piece jig kits, 16 piece spinnerbait and trailer and 5 piece crankbait kit). My question is are these pre-built kits worth the money or are they just junk that they try to sell by packaging them together?

Look at the kits and decide which parts of it are really useful to you and check the prices of the components you want. Add them up and subtract from it the cost of the units you will never use.Some companies offer good discounts on bulk purchases if it can save a buck on packaging.

Art

HERE IS THE ONLY ONE YOU WILL EVER NEED i make all my own worm harnesses,and these guys have everything in the world for the do-it yourself angler and it will save ya big time....its awesome and they are right here in ontario up by goderich.... WWW.LUREMAKING.COM its called real pros check it out bud ....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: oh and there is another one called b & b baits in erieu ontario

Edited by fishindevil

Guest mistyriver1

Another vote for luremaking.com. Great people to deal with and you get your order very fast.

Made a ton of muskie baits last winter, lots of fun, it does save you money, but I do it more for something to do during the winter when I'm not icefishing.

Good luck

Another vote for luremaking.com. Great people to deal with and you get your order very fast.

Made a ton of muskie baits last winter, lots of fun, it does save you money, but I do it more for something to do during the winter when I'm not icefishing.

Good luck

There seems to be a consensus on making your own lures. Would it be too difficult for someone like me who is a relative newbie or would I be able to pick it up easily?

Guest mistyriver1
There seems to be a consensus on making your own lures. Would it be too difficult for someone like me who is a relative newbie or would I be able to pick it up easily?

It's just like anything else, practise makes perfect. I found that I learned something different each time I would make one. I primarily made spinnerbaits and bucktails. (Mistytails :thumbsup_anim: ) I initially was using bucktail and then started using marabou as well. Marabou is alot easier to work with. I just use my workbench in my house and got a flytying vice and bought different parts as needed. I actually go to different stores and look at the baits to get ideas, also I use previous experiences in what colors have worked for me before. My father-in-law was even getting rid of a stuffed pheasant he had had for years so I grabbed him to use his feathers in some of the bucktails. :clapping:

Anyways I suggest giving it a try, I'm not sure what type of fish you are after but I found it to be very enjoyable.

Here's a few I made last winter...

108_0801.jpg

108_0810.jpg

108_0865.jpg

There's quite a few guys on this board that make their own stuff. I picked up some great pointers from Teamemptypockets (Jef), and recently JP.

It's just like anything else, practise makes perfect. I found that I learned something different each time I would make one. I primarily made spinnerbaits and bucktails. (Mistytails :thumbsup_anim: ) I initially was using bucktail and then started using marabou as well. Marabou is alot easier to work with. I just use my workbench in my house and got a flytying vice and bought different parts as needed. I actually go to different stores and look at the baits to get ideas, also I use previous experiences in what colors have worked for me before. My father-in-law was even getting rid of a stuffed pheasant he had had for years so I grabbed him to use his feathers in some of the bucktails. :clapping:

Anyways I suggest giving it a try, I'm not sure what type of fish you are after but I found it to be very enjoyable.

Here's a few I made last winter...

108_0801.jpg

108_0810.jpg

108_0865.jpg

There's quite a few guys on this board that make their own stuff. I picked up some great pointers from Teamemptypockets (Jef), and recently JP.

Those are really cool. I might pick up a spinnerbait kit (Love spinnerbaits) and give er a go. The good thing is it's not that expensive so if I screw it up it's not a big deal :)

making crankbaits is much more involved...

you never need to tune a spinner...

as for crankbaits, you have to water tune them to perfection..

make sure they land/float/swim belly up, also that they track straight etc...

there are some fine looking baits there Jim!!