Biggest species of fish in Ontario?

myst

Pigeon Lake. Rent a house boat and drive slowly while towing a jake or believer behind the boat. You will surely tag into a musky or two. Just be patient, be prepared with heavy enough gear and drive your house boat around.

The good news is, driving a houseboat slowly is easier on the constitution. We all have been known to get wobbly legs on the houseboats.

We did this trip for a buddy of mine and netted two muskies in about 4 hours effort. This is not necessarily par for the course but lots of other stuff to do on the boats as well.

I grew up in Cleveland Ohio. When I was a kid there where pictures in the Cleveland Press of a sturgeon caught from a pier in Lake Erie that weighed over 200 pounds. The Pier was in Lakewood where I used to fish for sheephead and carp. This is very near the Cuyahoga river that caught on fire in 1972. Salmon are being caught in that river now. My preference is to head way north in Ontario for big pike.med_gallery_802_319_12401.jpg

Yeah, as you can tell, I'm pretty much a fishing newbie. I've fished many time but mostly just bass and the occasional pike. I don't really know where to start. I really love fishing and my friends asked me what I wanted to do for my bachelor party and I said I'd rather go on a weekend fishing trip. But I want something completely different from the regular bass fishing that we do in this area. (White Lake, Mississipi River, etc.)

Anyone have any other suggestions? Like I said, I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

A bachelor party is always a piss-up. Your ideal will be corrupted...or may be not. I once took about 6 guys on a charter for salmon fishing on Georgian bay. That is a beautiful part of the world and they sensed that. It was very different from anything they had ever done. They still all got ticked up and we only caught one decent salmon but they remembered it and still comment about it. Pick the right time of year like now and you should have great results, we went on a blazing early summer day.

I can't see any muskie charter guy wanting beer swillers on their boat. The muskie charter guys are more mystical like where by everything and anything can throw off the muskie gods. They would shriek in horror upon seeing your crew with their intentions. Salmon charter boat operators will simply laugh at your groups antics while they troll into the sunset and ring the register to a good payday. One outfit out of Meaford has two boats if your party is larger, that could be fun.

Northern Ontario is Sturgeon heaven. There's tons of places to fish for them up here, if you're so inclined. The nearest place for me to catch them is about 3 minutes from my house, if I hit the red light. Fort Frances is a Sturgeon factory. As are the Hudson Bay tribs. I've had Sturgeon at least 10" wide across the back swimming beneath my feet up there. There's an untapped Sturgeon fishery in Lake Nipigon as well. I can go on and on. Lots of them up here and nobody fishes for them.

A bachelor party is always a piss-up. Your ideal will be corrupted...or may be not. I once took about 6 guys on a charter for salmon fishing on Georgian bay. That is a beautiful part of the world and they sensed that. It was very different from anything they had ever done. They still all got ticked up and we only caught one decent salmon but they remembered it and still comment about it. Pick the right time of year like now and you should have great results, we went on a blazing early summer day.

I can't see any muskie charter guy wanting beer swillers on their boat. The muskie charter guys are more mystical like where by everything and anything can throw off the muskie gods. They would shriek in horror upon seeing your crew with their intentions. Salmon charter boat operators will simply laugh at your groups antics while they troll into the sunset and ring the register to a good payday. One outfit out of Meaford has two boats if your party is larger, that could be fun.

Where can I find the salmon charters? I'm not sure where to look.

you need to do some research on your own. you have found the OFC on the computer, do some searches for charters and lodges...

Well, I have a different opinion... why not at least use the advice of others who have done what you want to do as a starting point for your search?

I can recommend "U" catchem out of Meaford. I believe he has at least one big boat that could run multiple lines. The guy who owns the operation is very friendly and would be accommodating to a bachlor party group. Simply let him know what is up. He also has a female captain who got a friend on fish last fall. She is supposed to be good.

I'm sure there are lots of good charter operators in Ontario. Ask people who fish.

I have fished Georgian Bay for Sturgeon with a friend who was doing it commercially. We would set our 1 to 2 mile line out with 300 or 400 hooks attached to the main line with a 12 inch secondary line. The preferred bait for Sturgeon is soft shelled crabs but they would not stay on the hooks very long . We would fish for suckers and keep them for bait, we would catch suckers when we were fishing for Whitefish with gill nets. The suckers would be filleted and cut into 1 inch strips then put on the many hooks we had on the line. We would set the line perpendicular to the shoreline. Starting in about 15 feet of water. The next day we would " run the line "

bringing it up so it goes from port to starboard as we pulled on the line putting new bait on as needed. We could feel the Sturgeon on the line from 500 yards away. I have personally witnessed us bringing 17 Sturgeon into our boat in one day. These fish were caught of Woodland beach, Deanlea Beach, Wasaga Beach all along where it is sandy with a few rocks. These fish have a mouth that extends 6 to 10 inches down from thier body behind thier snout so they look shark like. They suction the bottom just like suckers do. Thier meat is the same color as beef, They produce some of the best black Caviar arround.

I have seen a fish come in by pick-up truck from Christian Island Indians that was hanging over the end of an 8 foot box. That fish we dressed and weighed in at close to 200 Lbs.

I am sure that commercial fisherman in Georgian Bay fishing for Whitefish with gill nets will catch sturgeon in thier nets as we did. these fish would be anywhere from 12 inches long to 36 inches.

Anyways I think the Sturgeon is the largest fish in the great lakes for now or at least until the ASIAN CARP gets here

Larry

Well, I have a different opinion... why not at least use the advice of others who have done what you want to do as a starting point for your search?

I can recommend "U" catchem out of Meaford. I believe he has at least one big boat that could run multiple lines. The guy who owns the operation is very friendly and would be accommodating to a bachlor party group. Simply let him know what is up. He also has a female captain who got a friend on fish last fall. She is supposed to be good.

I'm sure there are lots of good charter operators in Ontario. Ask people who fish.

Thank you, it's not that I'm lazy, it's just that there are so many places to choose from I don't know where to start.

a 150lbs sturgeon was caught on the government docks in north bay a couple years back. It was all over the papers up there. it took 6 guys on the rocks to lift it up onto the docks and they released it after a few pics.

They are huge prehistoric fish but if the muskie is a fish of a thousand casts then the sturgeon would be the fish of a billion casts. Your better to try for a salmon in lake ontario. The burn in your forearms will leave you with a memory that is hard to forget!

Cheers!