Salmon fishing at Bronte

henryko

I decided to give salmon a try this yr. As I heard so many times about fishing salmon at bronte pier, I finally went there with my friend around 5am. We thought we would be the only ones there, since there were lightning going all over the place when we started driving. But surprise surprise, there were around 10 ppl all fishing for salmon already. (Apparently no one cares about lightning strikes??)

So, we started trying out our new glow-in-dark cleos and wut nots. And for the entire time there (from 5am -8am)---nothing! not even anything that felt like a bite...lots of fishes jumping though...

Well, at least it's not just me. All the ppl there fishing that night were all empty-handed, at least till the time we left...

Now I think I will at least rest for a few days for my sore arms from all the casting...lol

Anyone else planning to go to the Bronte pier anytime soon? Feel free to update the salmon status here!

10 ppl... wow! I hope to find a place where I can solo fish this year.

I don't like casting a spoon all night, it's pain. I will wait for them in the rivers...

I heard the salmon stop feeding when they are in the river. can u tell me how and where can u catch them in rivers? cuz I am not a big fan of casting a spoon all night too...

Unless you can get there when the fish first enter the rivers (when they do strike flies, jigs, roe), they will not be easily caught.

Most people just drift their line into the mouth of the fish. Called 'lining' or ethical snagging by others :lol:

Tony

Did you had to fish/cast next to others ?

How about river mouth of different rivers?

Port Credit ?

All the way to Port Hope? (Probably has more people than any other spot) but it's a great place.

Btw... At this point, salmons are still feeding right? Also, what makes them jump around during dark hours? I've always wondered.

Edited by mikeymikey

Unless you can get there when the fish first enter the rivers (when they do strike flies, jigs, roe), they will not be easily caught.

Most people just drift their line into the mouth of the fish. Called 'lining' or ethical snagging by others :lol:

Tony

I understand the not feeding when spawning but I have seen a salmon rushing to a bright fly 2 ft away. Out of anger maybe? I do know lot of time there are snagged fish, even with centerpin / float. But many times I have seen salmon landed with the hook right in the mouth.

I personly think that salmon attack the eggs since it only want to pass it's own gens.

But every one has their own ways. I just don't enjoy standing next to people and casting over and over. Not saying that river fishing is any better, some holes are packed with people.

There's been fish landed on both piers everyday this week.

Let the games begin!

BTW: pick up a can of automotive clear coat paint and spray your glo lures. Just casting the hooks will chip the glo paint.

I've landed five chinnies so far, you don't need alot of tackle or spend too much:

SalmonBaits.jpg

There's been fish landed on both piers everyday this week.

Let the games begin!

BTW: pick up a can of automotive clear coat paint and spray your glo lures. Just casting the hooks will chip the glo paint.

I've landed five chinnies so far, you don't need alot of tackle or spend too much:

I am guessing you've fished during dark hours ?

Ok...

So I did ended up going to Bronte Pier last night for few hours.

Well, I haven't seen any salmon jumping or seen any of those 10+ people catch anything either.

But it sure felt good being out there... cool wind... beautiful sky full of lightning :) Yes, wind started picking up, more and more lightning getting closer and closer with rain starting to fall. So that was it for me.

Atleast I've caught something... here is the picture.

1233976094_8d90da48a3_b.jpg

That is my Daiwa Regal Xi 3500 + handle of my 10' Shimano Convergence.

Oyeee..... nice on Mikey !!! :clapping:

Where were you fishing from when you got this one? Next to the light house or the pier?

From the pier.

Opposite side of the lighthouse... by the beach.

I could see a lot of bait fish? around and small splash here and there...

I am guessing there are few bass swimming around.

Just wondering where you people park your vehicle(s) at ?

Is the parking lot by the beach side, where the boat launch is... is that lot free to park ?

No, you have to pay now, and it's enforced during salmon season (private security).

Yes I only fish salmon during the pm, I get off work around 03:00 so it's perfect salmon fishing time!