NASCAR (not just a race, an adventure)

Deano

What a ride and an adventure we had. Initial plan was to go to TO, pick up my sister and brother in law and make our way to Michigan on Sunday. It started of great , everything going as planned until the skies dropped rain for 2 days.

We got to Toronto and picked them up at the airport, stayed at a hotel near the airport for the night. Went over to the BPS and Nascar Speed Park in Vaughn Mills Mall, then downtown to see the CN Tower. Beautifully lit up at night.

Next day we slowly made our way over to Grand Bend. What a beautiful place with an awesome beach. My 2 brothers drove all the way out there to visit us. Spent Friday night and most of the next day on the beach. Waves were almost 6 feet high. Then we traveled on to Lansing, Michigan.

Got up Sunday, headed for the race, it was looking good as it rained all night. Got to the speedway and for a while it looked like we were gonna get a race, but then the skies open up and it really came down. Race canceled. My sister and brother in law had to be in TO for Monday at 2 pm for there flight back to Vancouver. after a discussion and checking a weather report, they decided they might as well catch there flight, the weather forecasted rain for Monday. We headed back to TO. We spent the night in Strathroy, Ont and finished the drive to TO on Monday. Race had not started by the time we got out of the airport. Wife called work and couldn't get the Wednesday off, but already booked off till Tuesday. Started to head home when my son called and told us the race was postponed till Tuesday at 10. Hmmm, we can get back there and if all goes well, be back home late Tuesday night. So we turned around and headed to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Called ahead and booked a room while waiting to cross the boarder. It was not raining almost all the way until we got back to the other side of Detroit. Woke up Tuesday and it was just foggy and the roads were dry, (finally). Headed the 40 miles to the track. Race went almost as scheduled and finished early, which left us more time to get home. Headed home and got home around 11:20 pm.

Wished my sister and brother in law would of been there with us to enjoy the race, it was pretty awesome. Because of the 2 day delay, people were sitting just about anywhere they wanted. We did have great seats but we moved to some better seats. Anyways we did have a great time and here's some pics of our adventure.

Outside BPS

BPS.jpg

Kasey Kane car at the speedpark

Speedpark.jpg

CN tower at night

CNtower.jpg

We stopped to see the Cheltonham Badlands.

Cheltonham.jpg

Big waves at the beach in Grand Bend

Grandbend.jpg

My brother in law and I on the finish line

finishline.jpg

Jimmie Johnson car on display, my brother in law is a Jimmie fan, he's my second fave.

48car.jpg

Tuesday, it was foggy

fog.jpg

The concessions area was pretty cleared out

concessions.jpg

Finally were gonna get the green flag

start.jpg

Dale Jr passing by

jr.jpg

Having a zoom is handy for the backstretch, clearer skies would of really help

backstretch.jpg

And Kurt Busch in the winners circle.

winner.jpg

Edited by Deano

Here's a video I took, you may have to watch it twice, once to see the cars, the second to see the fans standing near the fence.

<embed><object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="

</param> <embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object></embed>

This will work if you enable HTML in your post....do a full edit and scroll down a bit...just choose anything except HTML Off.

Edited by ccmtcanada

thanks cmt, been a while since I posted video. I'll fix it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="

</param> <embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Fast, that's for sure, very loud also. Sitting so close isn't all that great, you get the wind and dust flying as the cars go by, but it is an awesome experience.

What race are you attending Dan?

Because Dale jr is changing next year, all jr stuff was on sale, most was 50% off. We bought a hat for $10 as well as T's.

That makes 2 years in a row that the 3M performance race had problems because of rain, last years we only got 130 laps before they called the race. Maybe next year we'll get a rain free event.

Nothing like being up close to the track at a NASCAR event Deano. The smell of the burning fuel and tires means only one thing. You're at the track for a major event!!! I'll be heading to Kansas for my 5th straight year at the end of Sept. Second race of the chase. Last year a KC fireman who was working the race got me an all access pass and I went for a walk with him. With this pass I could go places that Dale Jr. couldn't go. Honest!! I ended up on top of the grandstand where the spotters stand. This is a photo from Saturday morning before the Busch race. The red circled area is our motorhome on the back stretch.

KC111.jpg

KC10.jpg

KC17.jpg

And for the Jr. fans....

KC16.jpg

Awesome shots Dan, was hoping the sun would come out and make my pics more brilliant, but by tuesday, I was just happy to get the green flag. The zoom is really awesome, especially here. All access, now that would be awesome. Truly a great experience, even if someone isn't into racing, they would still feel the excitement and be amazed by all there is. We're thinking of Vegas next year, if it rains on us there, then we'll know it's not meant for us. LOL

Glad you finally got to see the race, Deano. I added a few pics from various Nascar trips as well...

Atlanta's frontstretch...

AtlantafrontstretchSmall.jpg

Charlotte at night...

Charlotte036.jpg

Michigan's frontstretch...

a19Small.jpg

Pocono...

DalePocono2Small.jpg

Watkins Glen...

a16Small.jpg

Another from Michigan....man, I miss Dale.

Dale4Small.jpg