Fishing Long Island for Fluke (Summer Flounder)

FishHeadRic

Hey Gang,

It's been a while since I've posted any reports so I figured now that I've moved back down here to Long Island, what better time to start posting again. It was a hectic move for me but now that the dust has settled I decided to reward myself by taking out the float boat and pickin' off some fluke. Fluke are Summer Flounder or Atlantic Halibut. They get upwards of 20lbs but the majority of them run in the 1 1/2 to 7lb range around these here parts.

image00021.jpg

This is the small harbour I fished in yesterday. It's about 5 min from my house on the north shore of L.I. To catch them you need to drift along and drag a hi-lo rig with a strip of squid and a shiner. Fluke are in every way predators. They lay on bottom waiting for anything to pass within range of striking distance. When something does they'll actually follow it for a bit or strike it right off the bat. Regulations down here have changed since I lived here before and now the fluke have to be 19.5" to keep with a much shorter season then previously.

image00001~0.jpg

The only keeper of the day. She was 23" and 2.5lbs. I caught 4 other shorts but that's fine by me. As long as I had something to bring home for supper! :clapping:

image00004~0.jpg

When they're first born fluke look like all other fish with eyes on both sides of their heads. Eventually their eyes start to migrate over to one side and they start to swim sidways.

image00005~0.jpg

Only a face a mother could love!

image00009.jpg

I'm a size 9 1/2. Just to give you a referance as to how big it was.

image00013.jpg

Here's another referance pic with a lighter.

image00012.jpg

These fish have some serious teeth on them!

image00016.jpg

The one good thing about being flat is that they make for some of the easiest filletting fish I've ever had the pleasure to do.

image00019.jpg

YUMMMMM! Of all the fish I've ever eaten Fluke has to be one of my favorite fish ever! Nice flakey white meat that's almost sweet. A lot of Japanese will eat these raw and I don't blame them! These are some tasty, tasty critters!

Anyways, I'm not going to be able to get out till the end of the week but when I do I think I'm gonna go after some stripers and bluefish. Hopefully I'll have another report for you all then!

Take care!

FishHeadRic

nice Ric, I liker eating the blues more than the fluke ( I like my fish to taste Like fish). In New Jersey they have to be 17" but it is changing to 17 1/2 " next year, and there is no license for fishing tidal water

Edited by ALEX

Thanks Gerrit, Roy, Mikeh and Rip. It has been a while since I've posted any reports. I've been fishing but have moved 3 times over the past couple of years and been working like a dog so... feels good to get another report out there. :) I have been stoping in every once in a while to check out the reports but just haven't had the time to post. :/

Alex, I only like the cocktail blues. The bigger guys just taste like bunker to me...

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Thanks GCD, I like em with the skin off as well. Patrick, There mostly salt water where I am right now but I know what you're saying about the lakes of New York State. It's truely a beautiful area! Crazyhook I wish it was a door matt.

b1_7.jpg

That's a door matt!!!

FHR

Guest Johnny Bass

Good to see you posting again Rick! Thats one ugly fish but I am sure it tastes great. Not sure about the fight though with the sideways swimming and the cross eyes.lol

Try to get some Striper video!!!