Bassin' New Waters

Rich

Wow, I sure did see some nice fish today. I saw a perfect looking lake. I saw tons of structure. I saw great water clarity (just that perfect stain). Things were perfect.

Except, we couldn't buy a bite.

I headed out with my buddy Alex from work and things looked good at the start. We got on the water by about 6:30AM and soon after he had hooked into something BIG on a Mepps. Video cam dies immediately. Left it on while I was charging. OOPS!! Alex is a newbie at the fishing game, and though I informed him to keep the slack out of the while this fish circled the boat, he let it loose just one too many times. The mystery fish was gone. Judging by the fight and the lure he bit, I assume it was a really, really big bass. Wow, that thing was powerful though and it wasn't a carp.

About 7AM I downsize baits since Alex had the bites to a jig and spinner combo and start beating the bank. I hook into my first bass.

DSC00353.jpg

It's a start.

As the day wore on, we tried just about everything, everywhere. This lake has me perplexed. Finally I get the signature bump in the line while tossing my Nancy colored senko.

DSC00355.jpg

A half decent bass. Nothing like what Alex had though!

I decided to leave the senko on for the rest of the night and keep switching up between it and my spinnerbait rod. For once in my life I couldn't get a bite on the spinnerbait! We neared a deeper spot near the top edge of a dam where something nailed my senko. I set hook, and immediately knew I had a BIG bass! Soon after, he headed for a stump and snapped my 14lb mono like nothing. DANG!

Well that was about it for the day. Beautiful weather though and definitely a lake I will want to check out again. As for the name of it, sorry but Alex asked me not to reveal it since he showed it to me.

Was a good time anyways!

Good Report Rich

As for trying new waters it can be fun if you got the right attitude .Go expecting nothing therefore anything is a bonus!

We usually try at least 2-3 new bodiesof water a year some you want to go back to ( Sparrow ) some I don't (Scugog)

TB