leadcore, lakers, and a canoe

scuro

Did the annual week with me mom and my kids at a cottage near Huntsville. Basically I fished in the morning and evenings in a canoe if the weather cooperated. I also rented a boat for two days and trolled a bit with mom in the middle of the day. She likes the ride. Trolled very hard for lakers on those days and I was skunked in that department. Did manage to catch fish and was happy that I am getting much better at locating and catching fish but I wanted a laker.

On the last evening I go out with fish finder, gps, leadcore, and tackle in a canoe.

IMGP0422.jpg

Now at my local tackle store I have met guys who go to Algonquin park and go for lakers but I thought they were a bit daft and a little too idealistic. :w00t: My original intention was simply to get a bit deeper for some bigger pike...but then I had to set up and I couldn't get the rod holder to clamp properly and the next thing you know....I've drifted into 60ft of water. Being that deep I dropped the core down to let out line without snagging. Checking the gps I have no problem doing 4-5 miles an hour on a steady paddle. 2-3 mph is a lilly dipping sort of stroke.

This is different, no fumes, costs nothing, quiet....and fish on! First one of the week.

IMGP0398.jpg

Not a keeper but big enough to tell me that I was on to something. I fished for another hour or two with no problems. If anything I fished better. I was more aware of line and my surroundings...less mindless sitting there controlling the motor. So I got to thinking...why buy that big boat? Do I really love bass fishing that much? For the few times that I can go out in the year, isn't it better to go some place exceptional or simply scale down and do it simple?

Edited by scuro

Hey Scuro,

I found myself asking the same question as you a couple of years ago when I was strictly a canoer and kayaker. Eventually, I did get a boat and I was off to the races that summer, fishing 2 or 3 times a week. However, life and work caught up with me, and trailering the boat to the water at 6pm, on a Thursday kind of lost its appeal, but I think that happens with anything.

One thing I can say for myself, is that I haven't touched my kayak since getting my boat. I used to be one of the first guys to hit the rapids at Burleigh Falls in the spring and almost every other weekend I'd kayak 25km from lakefield to peterborough (I'm from peterborough). Since getting a boat I've turned lazy. I can't say I blame the boat but it would be naive to think it didn't have anything to do with it. lol

I guess what I'm saying is that, once you get motorized you never look back. lol

Nice report & pics. I too am planning on purchasing a boat...have looked at a few already....keep changing my mind about what it is that I would be prefer....looking at the cost primarily GAS....do not want to own a boat only to sit on it where it is docked like some I have seen do...for now I will enjoy the canoe.

Hey scuro, your story helped rejuvenate my quest to catch a Laker in my canoe. I've got portable manual downriggers and a depth finder but have not had luck on a couple trips out. Just came back from the McConnell Lakes area (north of North Bay) but did not stray from the easier targets (Bass, Pike, Pickeral, and Perch).

Was talking to an old-timer familiar with one of the better Laker lakes up there and he told me the fishing had been off the last week or so - so I didn't bother putting in the time. Guess I'll have to give it another shot a little later in the season.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Barn

It's very easy to just get in a motorboat and troll. When things are working you just don't question that way of fishing. Out on the big lakes it's a safer way to go but is it necessary on a smaller shield lake? A canoe has advantages, the major one being that you are more actively fishing and enjoying the surroundings more. No noise, no smell, and the subtle sound of birds is lovely. A canoe is more agile also and that would particularly benefit flutter spoons. I was toying with two hard strokes and then pausing till the canoe almost stops....then two more hard strokes. On the GPS I saw that this would bring you from about 5 mph to 0 with a good deal of time spent in the 2 mph range. The effect on the spoon would be a rising in the water column and then fluttering down. Sure you could do that with a motor boat but no one would. That is how I caught the one fish although at the time it was more accidental in that I was attempting to adjust the rod. The other thing that I would try is trolling in the 1 mph range. That makes it a lot harder to gauge how deep you are because I haven't seen any charts at this speed. A motor boat can't normally reach those speeds on a troll. The lures still have good action at that speed. The disadvantage of the canoe is if there is any sort of significant wind. I wouldn't try trolling in those conditions.

I also found the laker fishing was tough last week. I can imagine that the recent heat drove them down and they were getting accustomed to the darker depths. PM if you do go out and let me know whats working for you.

Edited by scuro

Although lake Simcoe is not one of those small lakes,I still see the older fellas still lead core/steel lining out there and I must say,they still get thier fish and it,s a treat to watch. Im betting they sit there and laugh at all the guys out there with the newest up to date riggers and here they still do it old school and still catching them.

Great report Scuro

TFS.

I used to launch out of Gull rock on Simcoe, after a while got to know the owner, really nice guy. He liked to go for lakers, but he only used steel wire. Which I thought was odd considering he could have used riggers. But he didn't like them, and there many times he outfished us with our downrigges, sounders, temp probes, and whatever else.

Don't quote me on it but I understand 30 feet per colour change and 10 feet depth per colour. So 7 colours into it you would be 210 feet of line out, 70 feet down. I'm sure this is based on a set speed and would vary...

Hey scuro, I'll certainly let you know when I get a chance to get out again. I'm thinking next weekend or the long weekend at the latest. I have a small, deep lake in mind that I want to try again. I like your tip on the two strong strokes then let the canoe slow right down. This should greatly extend the vertical range of the spoon.

Cheers,

Barn

Speed is everything. For instance 3mph at 7 colours will only get you down 22 ft. You need charts on depth vrs speed. If you slow down you can actually see the angle of line going down. Even with charts and my gps for speed, I seemed to be trolling a little deeper then I thought I was. Other factors come into play. I'll be away this week trying some trolling in a deep lake also.

Edited by scuro

• 2 weeks later...

At my local fishing store they have a book with those depths. They make photocopies. I don't know if Basspro would carry that or if they did how many people in the store would know. The chart does not give you a depth for every colour and only gives you depths for 2 and 3 mph.

That technique works great !! We've been using it on remote lakes where access is impossible with

a 4x4 and trailer.....

A.T.V or portage type of lakes,.

p.s that technique also works great for suspended walleye, use a natural looking crankbait.

ZZZZZZZZZZING!