Largies...

bmallard

I don't fish for bass anymore, but when I did I always preferred a baitcaster set-up.

My 2 favorite combos were both Shimano V-rods with a Compre on one and a Castaic on the other.

Edited by lew

Mr Ducker, it all depends on what type of cover/structure your fishing.

Baitcasters for heavy cover and heavier baits

Spinning set ups for open water structure and smaller finesse type baits.

Each have there own place.

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

Thanks for the replies gents...

I do most of my fishing on Rice Lake as my brother in law has a cottage up there with a Pontoon Boat and I have a spinning reel set up going right now... Its a shallow, weedy lake and i mainly fish close to the shore line. I often wonder when I'm out fishing that I would be better off using a bait caster instead of what I have now to make life easier for myself.

Edited by Mr Ducker

Mr Ducker

I think the key is here you are fishing in "Murky" water and fishing early in the morning and late at night and you need to be fishing in the afternoon under those conditions, also, you need to put your shirt on while fishing as you are reflecting on the water so the rest of us can't see

teehee

As a general rule of thumb, most manufacturers make decent equipment. It then boils down to price. With a few exceptions, I'd say that if you stay around the $100 for a new baitcaster, you should be ok. Talk to people, go in to a large surface shop and feel them in your own hands. It's a comfort thing too. You can also visit our classifieds, there are often some pretty sweet deals on rods and reels.

I use a spinning real when im wizzle worming for buckets or smallies.Wieghtless 90% of the time.Flip it on pads,twitch it til it falls off.It swims right under the pad were they are waiting pounce on it.

Braid with a 4ft floro lead.

Most of the time I am flipping or pitching in cover, often with small or light lures, an Abu 507 Mark 1 spinning reel with 17# test stren on a Falcon 7' 6" spinning flipping stick. Just a reel I am comfortable using, handles heavy or light lures well, and is hard to find now.

Heavy line, cover, usually a baitcaster, open water, no cover, a spinning reel, 50 years or so has made me pretty comfortable picking up any of them with the lure I want to throw on. LOL I use some reels older that some of you guys.

My passion is largemouth fishing and I don't even have a spinning rod in my locker when I am out fishing for them. I use mostly medium heavy to heavy gear and I have no problems throwing weightless senko-type baits with them.

If you want to buy a reel, spend the added money and buy a Shimano Curado. It will be easier to set up properly and when you do have it set up, birdsnests will be rare. My first casting reel was a cheap one and I never could set it up properly. I have some friends with lesser quality reels and I giggle at how much they struggle with their own equipment when fishing.