Fly In Trip Advice

douG

I want to take my Dad, along with bro and Dad's buddy, to a kick-ass laker destination next June. We are looking for a remote place, with full American plan, one or two guided days, four or five nights in, all food and fuel included.

I know that there is incredible fishing in NWT and Labrador, but that might be a little rich for our tastes. Northern Manitoba might be as far as we are willing to travel, but would prefer northern Ontario. We aren't looking for trophies, but a few 10 - 20 lbers would be nice to find, as well as good numbers of smaller fish. We won't be packing any fish out and will release the biguns, but some shore lunch of fresh leetle ones would be great.

I am looking for recommendations, as well as some other advice. Should we make a decision and book now, or wait till the Spring Fishing Show?

Funny ya bring this up today Doug for the past couple nights I've been storing destinations in my "favorites" for Ontario Pike, Brookies and Arctic Char (all separately) but was thinking I need a laker section for way down the road. Bumped into a few good different spots for ya, and already am aware of some others.

Neultin Lake

Selwyn Lake

Plummer's Great Slave and Great Bear

Kasba Lake

Kluane Lake

Athabasca Lake

Anyone of them and you'd be fishing world class waters all with world class lodges. Except Athabasca, not sure...?

As for Ontario.... outside of some of the Great Lakes and Nipigon.... well, I haven't really researched it. :huh: Lac Seul may have opps with all inclusive. Big Trout Lake I remember has an outfitter with an all inclusive package, and surely some great remote laker fishing, but, trying to find the website again just last night after seeing it a year or so ago, well, I couldn't.

I think Nipigon for June would be prime. If considering that lake I have a link I'll pm you for something interesting to consider.

Hey douG, check out this link http://www.jetnet.ab.ca/bigfish/ I know it's prolly not exactly what you're looking for but Cold lake is an exceptional Lake Trout fisherie, and Ian McKenzie is a great guy and charter captain and knows how to party too! Cold Lake is a very nice little town with some nice lodging and dining choices. If you mention my name he may give you a discount... or double the rate. ;)

Doug Athabaska lake lodge is a good place

Speak with Cliff he is a quality host and sure you will enjoy your time

You might wanna try

http://www.osprey.qc.ca/

http://www.awashish.com/

Speak with George Awashish

Or give this guy an email and ask for further info,tell him you were refered by Outdoor Passion TV

Guy Tremblay a.p.f./ w.p.o.

liaison officer

Wildlife protection direction

Northern Quebec area

phone: 418.748.7701 ext: 248

fax: 418.748.3338

email: [email protected]

[email protected]

That's actually a pretty tall order Doug.....Trying to find that kind of quality lake trout fishing in northern Ontario is tough, in a fly-in venue at least. The first one that popped into my mind was actually one that Moosebunk referred to. There used to be an excellent camp on Big Trout Lake in far northwestern Ontario, huge, huge lake trout and very abundant. I actually don't even know if it's still in operation, but it was called "Bug River Camp". The beauty of fishing Big Trout Lake is you can fly into the native community on it's shores via small commercial airline, either out of Thunder Bay or Sioux Lookout if I'm not mistaken. Much , much cheaper than chartering a float plane when you're talking that kind of distance. Another option that isn't "exactly" what you're looking for, but the fishing is mind boggling, is Labrador Air Safara (labrador-airsafari.com) out of Baie Comeau in Quebec. From S. Ont., the drive is about the same as going to Nakina and is incredibly senic. They have several camps north of the 52nd latitude that are remarkable fisheries, mostly huge bodies of water that are largely unexplored. What I like about it is it has the best "multi-species" fishing I've found, which equates into the best bang for your buck. These waters have world class lake trout, landlocked atlantic salmon, brook trout and huge northern pike....Now the only downside is this is an outpost camp situation and you'd be on your own (personally that's the way I like it!). I'd be more than happy to offer my personal guiding services if you're thinking about going though! :D

Doug, As you know I have had the opportunity to travel MOST of this country. Needless to say I have a short list of places that I must return to. The link attached is a Laker Lodge in Northern BC. Muncho Lake is the most scenic place I have ever seen. A local hot springs nearby and plenty of hiking and walking make it a sure fire success.

Flights into Fort Nelson are easy to come by with Air Canada and not terribly priced as it is a standard flight from both Grand Prairie and Vancouver.

Muncho Lake

Wow. Those are great replies, friends. I have been drooling over the information your tips are pointing to.

Thanks.

Nemo, I'll send an email to Stainless to get his thoughts, too.

Edited by douG