First Report - August 1st at Valens Conservation Area

Sounder82

Hi all,

Well, what a scorcher it was today in the Kitchener area. With the mercury bubbling around 34 degrees C + the humidity, I thought, what a great opportunity to head out to Valen's conservation area and doing some fishing, rowing, and soak up a few rays. I could not believe how many people were out on the beach enjoying the warm day, looks like a great place to take your family.

The way things were going, I thought I should take a scenary pic 'cause I didn't think I would be catching anything to photo.

HPIM1507.JPG

For about the first hour, the only thing that got a bite was my foot - tons of deerflies and I forgot the OFF at home. But after that, the fishing picked up and caught my first two panfish, ever. I was surprised the kind of fight they put on my 6lb line and light spinning rod. This was my first (had another come off the hook), I am fairly certain it is a blue gill, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

HPIM1508.JPG

Just before heading in, i had another come off the hook, and then caught this one. I beleive its a black crappie, but agian, not 100% sure.

HPIM1505.JPG

All around, a great few hours on the lake, and will definitely be back.

Fished Valens in a canoe with a friend of mine a few years ago, middle of the summer, hot day. We weren't getting anything and assumed maybe not much was in there. He decides to throw on a huge 10 in plastic worm, despite my laughter and jeering. Drops it down and says he is hung up, his hang up starts to move and pulls the canoe. I looked down to see the biggest, fat pig of a largemouth I have ever seen. We have fished for years on Rondeau Bay, Kwarthas, Simcoe to name a few and have seen our fair share of 4 pound plus bass, even a few 5's. This fish made them look small in comparison. We both guessed between 7 and 8. No camera on the boat, its become a superstition with us, if we want to catch big fish, the camera stays on shore.

Great pics and report

Some well deserved catches for sure...Especially with the heat and humidity...At 34 degrees, you'll find me underneath a tree, napping and waiting for my bite alarms to sound.

Deer flies are vicious...Does DEET even work on them?

Great first report! Hope to see many more from you. It's funny...I do the same thing...take some scenery shots in case I dont catch anything...LOL. No huge fish, but you at least got into some.

Kudos for sticking it out thru the HEATWAVE!! By the time I got home from work, did some chores, and put our little one to bed, I went back outside and decided not to go fishing....just too humid and didn't feel like dealing with the mosquitoes!!! Cant catch a fish sitting in my living room!

Looking forward to reading about more fishing trips from you.