To our Canoe Experts.....NF

ccmtcanada

I'm hoping guys like Solopaddler, Moosebunk and a few others will chime in on this thread.

Looks like Bly and I are getting a 16 foot canoe!! Fellow OFNer Basskicker has graciously offered up his canoe until we are ready to get a boat of our own. What a guy!!!

Anyhow, I've been doing some research on what to get so that we are following all the laws and regulations.

Here's what I've found on transport Canada's website...

Canoes, kayaks, rowboats and rowing shells less than 6 m (19’8”) in length ^

Personal protection equipment

One (1) Canadian-approved personal flotation device or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board

One (1) buoyant heaving line no less than 15 m (49’3”) in length

Boat safety equipment

One (1) manual propelling device (for more detailed description, refer to the manual propelling device definition)

OR

An anchor with no less than 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination

One (1) bailer

OR

One (1) manual water pump fitted with or accompanied by sufficient hose to enable a person using the pump to discharge water from the bilge of the vessel over the side of the vessel

Navigation equipment

A sound-signalling device or a sound-signalling appliance

Navigation lights that meet the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations if the pleasure craft is operated after sunset and before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility

Note: Radar reflectors are required under certain conditions.

I'm ok with almost all of that stuff...where my question here lies is regarding lighting. Since bly and I fish mostly in the evenings, we want to make sure we are in compliance if we stay out past dark. Keep in mind we will only be on small ponds and protected inlets. When I looked to the "Navigation lights that meet the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations ", I found this.....

(c) In vessels of less than 12 metres in length:

--a masthead light, 2 miles,

--a sidelight, 1 mile,

--a sternlight, 2 miles,

--a towing light, 2 miles,

--a white, red, green or yellow all-round light, 2 miles.

Does this apply to a 16 foot canoe? I'm just trying to figure out what I truly need here.

Also, I just wanted to make sure I'm following the operators card requirements. From what I've read, it says I need one if the craft has or can be fitted with a motor. My question is...if I have a small 30lb thrust electric trolling motor, does this count? I have no problem getting the operators card and I plan on getting it anyways.

The last question has to do with boat licensing. Again, it has to do with the motor. Here's info from the site...

Pleasure craft fitted with a motor of 10 hp or more are required to be licensed.

Currently, proof of competency is required if you fall into one of two categories:

1. You operate a pleasure craft fitted with a motor AND are born after April 1, 1983; or,
  2. You operate a pleasure craft, fitted with a motor, that is under 4m (13 feet) in length (regardless of age).

If you were born before April 1, 1983 and operate a pleasure craft, fitted with a motor, that is 4 m and over in length, you will require proof of operator competency by September 15, 2009.

I'm assuming that a 16 foot canoe with a small electric trolling motor does not fit in either of those categories.

Thanks...and sorry for the long post!!!

If your on a nav. waterway at night or dusk you need lights

I do plan on lights...just want to make sure I have the right amount. I've been on fishing boats that seem to have less lights than what is printed in the regulations.

Congratulations on your canoe. You'll have lots of fun in it.

I have one myself. I have most the safety gear you mentioned. Life jackets, paddle, whistle, rope, anchor, bailer.

I believe the minimum safety gear is, life jackets for each person, a paddle, whistle, bailer, and rope. When I rented a canoe in Algonquin that was the gear that was provided for us.

If you fishing at night where other vessels are nearby I suggested some light source. So they don't steer into you or at least they slow down.

Hey Cliff, if you want to know how to paddle the canoe then yeah, you might want me to chime in, but that stuff is mostly gobbldeygook to me :D .

Honestly, beyond having a whistle on my lifejacket I've never been concerned with most of the stuff you mentioned, but then I'm usually paddling in remote areas.

Anyhow, as far as the nav lights go, I'd imagine if you were using the canoe locally you'd want to have them. If I'm not mistaken you can buy small battery operated nav lights that clamp onto the gunnel of the boat. You'll need the tri coloured one in the bow, and one white light in the stern. You could attach more permanent lights and wire them to your trolling motor battery also.

You definitely don't need an operators card, although if you want to get it anyway you can take the test online, it's very easy. (I've got the answers saved to my computer if you want to make it REALLY easy :D ).

Also, is this a regular canoe or a squareback? If it's a regular canoe do you have a side bracket for your trolling motor? If you need one I've got one kicking around the house somewhere and you're welcome to it.

Cheers, Mike

Go to CTC or another store and buy the clamp-on bow and stern lights. They run on batteries and can be removed for transporting your canoe. If I recall correctly, they are about $25-$30 each.

Other than that, lifejackets, buoyant heaving line, whistle, bailer, paddles and an anchor should suffice.

Edited by Fishnfiend

same as solopaddler the items that concern me the most are the lifejackets and the whistles ...

other than the items required by law/regs, you might want also want to look into some other things like:

1) canoe seats - it is tough to stand and fish with two people so you might end up with sore backs after a full day of paddling and fishing

2) rod holders - allow you to troll slowly while your hands are busy paddling

as far as "pimping up your ride", i think you should talk to jediangler, his canoe is "fully loaded" lol

good luck and i can't wait for your first canoe report!

p.s. bungee cords are great for tying up canoe on the top of the car ... much faster than tying knots everytime

Edited by Victor

If you would like some pointers let me know, I'm sure you'll do fine though, It's like falling off a bike I mean riding a bike.

LOL...I remember the basics...we'll see how it goes...then I may be calling you for those pointers.

Thanks!

To tie down the canoe l use the ratchet straps. For lights l use the head lamp and strobs for peddle bikes and put them on our gear, they are clip ons so it is easyer. l would also use river paddles the blades are shorter but wider. At Crappy tire they have fox whistles 2 per pack. l know you have a tent, so when is your first canoe trip lol

Song "My paddle is clean and bright flashin' with silver..." any one else know all the words. Peace Ken

Thanks for all the suggestions and help everyone! Looking forward to getting it out on the water!!!

Bowshep..if I remember right.....

My paddle's clean and bright,

Flashing like silver

Follow the wild goose flight,

dip, dip and swing

Dip dip and swing it back,

Flashing like silver,

Follow the wild goose track,

Dip dip and swing

Cliff and Carole, I canoed for years. Sold my last one a few years ago. It's really a great way to experience your surroundings on the water. I've never been a fan of an anchor in a canoe though.

Thanks everyone...I think I'll get those clamp on bow and stern lights....and not worry about the side and towing lights.

Solopaddler - you have a PM!

Haven't canoed since high school...this will be fun....LOL.

Don't have to worry about that, it for the big boats and sail boats, all you need is green and red combo front, and white light rear. Oh ya, for safty and law, carry a working flashlight.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

OCH

You've sort of misread the regs a bit

c) In vessels of less than 12 metres in length:

--a masthead light, 2 miles,

--a sidelight, 1 mile,

--a sternlight, 2 miles,

--a towing light, 2 miles,

--a white, red, green or yellow all-round light, 2 miles.

THats not the lights you need thats how far or the quality of the light if you display them.

You will need the 2 side lights, the clamp on bow light that you said about is actually your 2 red and green side lights. and you will need an all round mast light for the stern. And then you should also carry a flashlight for when the d@^^ lights don't work. Wire your lights with a 3 position switch so that you can display all or just the all round light

With the electric motor this would be considered a power boat as its driven by machinery.

Question: If the canoe's are supose to have lights then why are they not installed at where they are made. Peace Ken

The majority of people do not canoe at night and therefore, lights would be unnecessary weight.

Anchors are to be dealt with with respect in a canoe. Don't travel with a bunch of loose rope...you wouldn't want to get tangled in it and dragged to the bottom if/when you capsize.

Hey Cliff you had better make sure you have some lights with you or you may end up on our

pet peeve list.....lol

other than that I can't be of any help as the only time I use a canoe is if we have to go and

retrieve a downed moose across a swamp or pond