Sunday am Pikin

joonmoon

My buddy Inspector Gadget and I decided we'd try the Berg for some Pike today, upon our arrival we noticed the lake had dropped about 4' since the spring and that you could walk across the weeds, not to mention the strong gusts blowing at us. We looked out from the boat ramp and decided we'd giver a shot anyway. Launched the "AUGUSTAWIND" and within 5 min I had hooked and landed a pike just over 20" on a slugo. A few mins later, a swipe and missed a pike. We looked for a break in the weeds to locate deeper water and when we did...BANG a pike on the slugo again just under 20".

100_1559.jpg

The next fish for me was the biggest of the day 27". Taken on a self tuned and enhanced Bluefox Spinner, the feathers and maribou is all thats visible since this fish inhaled the bait big-time.

100_1560.jpg

100_1562-1.jpg

Then the gadget finally got on the board with a few pike just over 20".

100_1564-1.jpg

Finished the day off with a flashy hyper 25" Pike.

100_1566.jpg

We had to work hard to get the fish we did and the winds worked against us. The total for the day was 4 for me and 3 for gadget. We did manage to hook a few small perch while takin a casting break and draggin a mini jig and grub. Definitely the hardest we've had to work with just as many swipe/and missed fish as landed. A good day out and Gadgets first day out this year in the boat, glad we decided to try it regardless of the less than favourable conditions. B)

nice report and photos. Although I've never fished there (and likely never will), I understand there are actually some good sized pike in there. A friend e-mailed me last week with a photo of a mountsberg pike, thing had a head like a shovel and had to be 40 inches minimum. I was shocked to see it, a personal best for him.

I lost one last spring in there that was pushin 15 lbs, over 40". But the average would be in the mid 20" range. Have had many fish days there and all were released unharmed. It's a great local pond, just wish they would take the parking fee monies and re-invest into some gravel to re-line the launch driveway, maybe even put in an automated electrical gate and some garbage cans so dummies don't feel the need to litter the shoreline with worm containers and coffee cups and lure wrappers. Sometimes the place looks like a back alley in a metropolis with all the crap lying around. Did my share and picked up some and brought my own out with me, wish more people would do the same. :(

I have enjoyed MANY days of good fish'in on the "Berg" ( it kills me you call it that too :)

And I will confirm, that there is "some" good ones still left in the lake.I was there last Friday, and had noticed right away the drop in the water.Fishing was tuff, but still did ok.Caught some pike, Bass, and 2 nice Crappies.Here is a Pic of the bigger one.13" is a nice Crappy.We did not have a scale to weight it with.I had to keep the Crappies.I don't eat fish, and throw 99% of all fish caught back.but the wife has never tried Crappy.And she loves fish.I keep the 1% for her taste buds.

She loved it.

jhonny_218.jpg

Nice Crappie Banger. I don't usually fish for anything other than Pike and Bass when I'm there. As a matter of fact I never even seen any Crappie there. This time I did throw a 1/32 oz jig and grub to rest my broken thumb/ hand for a bit and thats how we caught the perch. Prolly could gets some good numbers if I tried more for them more. Thanks Jedi and you couldn't get around in there too well with the trolling motor/or should I say weed gatherer...lol. I think Gadget wants to go back in a month or so as long as we get some rain the weeds will have died back some by then and should be like fall conditions too...hopefully. B)

The Crappies caught that day were on 1/2 once spinner baits. ( hard to belive I know)

I only go for Bass & Pike as well.But I've always known that the Crappies were there.And in #'s we just never really ever tried to fish for them.

My friend hooked me up with this site ( thanks Andrew).And your post on the 'Berg" lol and I had to post up something.

Don't you ever get worried, of posting up the name up such a small lake, and worry it'll get hammered by everybody.

It would'nt take much to fish that lake out.I practice catch & release 99% of the time.So no worries from me.

The day I was there I got a nice Bass, ( I had to keep it, it took the hook/spinner bait deep.And was bleeding bad)

Here's a pic. A same to keep. but it would not have lived. IMO.

jhonny_207.jpg