Port Burwell - 07-28-07 Evening Report w/pics

SlowPoke

I was going to go out in the morning but didn't have anyone to go with so I decided to sleep in. It's probably a good thing I didn't aim for an early start because I had some work to do on the boat that I forgot about; install a new rectifier, remount the tranducer and reconnect the downrigger cables. Ooops!

I talked to Chris (muskiestud) around 2PM and we decided to go for an evening fish out of Burwell. On the way we stopped at the coolest little corner store for ice. Where else can you stop for ice, a loaf of bread some milk and.... a table saw? This store carried Delta and Porter Cable power tools as well as groceries. If I lived near this place there is NO WAY my wife would ever send me out for milk!

If that wasn't cool enough, they even take US money at par!

DSC03351.jpg

We arrived at the launch, got the boat in the water and began heading out. I was warned about the channel... pathetic. Imagine a series of interconnected puddles taking you to the lake. It would have be faster to get out and walk! I hit the sand in a couple of places but fortunately we didn't hang up.

Following Emil's advice we motored out to 50 FOW and hung a left (east). Began setting up around 6PM and we were marking fish very deep... right on the bottom. While heading east I spotted some nice targets on the sonar but they weren't interested in what we had to offer. I dropped a few waypoints thinking we would try them again on our way back. It paid off with a scrappy little bow off the rigger. A few arial antics, some drag peeling runs and tangling with my leadcore line made it a chore to bring in. Chris netted it like a pro, took a quick picture and we released into the cooler.

DSC03353.jpg

We marked more fish but no takers. We later spoke with a guy at the ramp that was fishing 55-57 FOW (a couple more miles offshore) and he had some good numbers taking wally's and bows off the boards and the riggers.

It was slow fishing but a really nice way to kill a couple hours on a Saturday night.

Thanks for joining me Chris, next rod is yours.

DSC03355.jpg

DSC03354.jpg

-Brian

Edited by SlowPoke

I especially like how you got out fished and posted pictures from the EVENING on the 29th when it is only 2:05 PM on the 29th right now. That is damn impressive LOL.

Can you do the same thing Wednesday and post the winning lotto numbers a day early?

AWWW now you edited the post to read the 28th instead of giving all of us the winning lotto numbers.... I figured it was too good to be true.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I especially like how you got out fished and posted pictures from the EVENING on the 29th when it is only 2:05 PM on the 29th right now. That is damn impressive LOL.

Can you do the same thing Wednesday and post the winning lotto numbers a day early?

AWWW now you edited the post to read the 28th instead of giving all of us the winning lotto numbers.... I figured it was too good to be true.

What on earth are you talking about? ;)

Thanks for pointing it out.... changed the post, all the links and the folder name on photobucket. Couldn't let it slide huh? LOL

WTG Brian! I opened the report wondering what blew up on your boat, or seeing pictures of the coast guard or something...LOL.

Great job out there...and even though the fishing was slow, it's always nice to get out on the lake. Great last pic there too!

What on earth are you talking about? ;)

Thanks for pointing it out.... changed the post, all the links and the folder name on photobucket. Couldn't let it slide huh? LOL

Let it slide? NO WAY I thought it was impressive that someone could post results for something that couldn't have happened yet.....

I mean I KNOW when I go to my favorite bassing spot that I will catch at least 5.... I can generally predict the size as well, just by how the weather is when I leave, but I damn sure don't have digital pictures BEFORE I leave. I thought it was an awesome trick.

Good report SlowPoke. Thanks.

Are there any spots for shore fishing around Port Burwell ? Planning to make a trip there soon. Heard there is an actual "Doggie Beach" there.

Last time i let my 10 year old retriever swim in Hamilton (Bayfront Park) it took 3 shampoos to get the smell out.

Thanks.

Good report SlowPoke. Thanks.

Are there any spots for shore fishing around Port Burwell ? Planning to make a trip there soon. Heard there is an actual "Doggie Beach" there.

Last time i let my 10 year old retriever swim in Hamilton (Bayfront Park) it took 3 shampoos to get the smell out.

Thanks.

There were a lot of people fishing from the pier on our way out. Perch I suppose. It's a very shallow channel and only about 5' deep by the pier. The middle of the channel is actually shallower!