Carp Bait ,and fish hook removal

Carpe Diem

If you haven't read my intro, i'm new to the board and to fishing. Good news is though am no longer a tackle shop virgin.

Bought my first tackle yesterday. The guys at the tackle shop recommended Pineapple Boillies, and a bottle of pineapple scent for bait. It was pricey. Am boiling up some corn on the cob instead.

What do you guys think??? Advice please. Is the pineapple stuff worth it's price?????

Also sold me a Baker "Hookout". Bought the mini one because it will travel lighter in my backpack. Don't want to hurt the fish with a clumsy hook removal. Are these things worthwhile, or should i get myself some pliers instead?

I know some of the guys at Fishing World in Hamilton are OFC members. Thanks for your help. (and Lexie thanks you for the water Blake!!) My questions are no reflection on you by the way. I am just really new and unsure of myself. Fishing World is a great place to go. Definitely plan on being a repeat customer.

Off to try my luck!!!!

Edited by Carpe Diem

Boillies have their time and place...I've done well with pineapple boillies in the past. If you're fishing in an area with gobies, boillies and maize are great baits to use. Canned corn and corn on the cob will be picked off in no time by the gobies.

Hi CD.

From the name you can guess where I am now, the forum boards over here are covered with this topic, it has been thrashed to death and caused verbal wars.

The general consensus however is it all boils down to whats best for the fish, if you expect to catch a lot of fish then you are going to get a lot of different hook holds, some fall out in the net, some are wound in so much that it seems you would need a tyre lever to remove it and the odd ones that swallow the hook and line, dont go digging around for it if you can't see it, it has gone past the phyrangeal teeth which are right at the very back of the throat used for grinding snails and hard food, go poking around past there and you will most likely poke something important. Just cut the line as far back as safely you can and nature will take care of the rest. I very rarely had to resort to pliers I use between size 8 to 2 barbed hooks. I believe that once the hook is set I dont want it coming out and ripping or cutting the mouth up like it could with barbless, just my opinion, nice pair of long nose pliers should be all you need, like the ones the pike anglers use should do, the ones I use are 6" long dont think they need to be any longer, stainless would be best.

Regards Clive

I've found when they're taking boilies, pineapple are the way to go, with strawberry being a close second. As for deep-hooking . . . since I stated using a hair rig a few years ago, I've NEVER even got a carp in the throat!! Nor have a seen on with the hook on the hair rig further than mid-mouth. A $10.00 set of Rapala tweezers should solve the hook removal nicely . . . . they can be used to break the barb off the hook (if you use Nash hooks) or bend it against the shaft on others. As long as you keep the line tight, you won't miss many on barbless. You should have a boilie drill with the bait needle too, makes it MUCH easier to get bait needle through! As for Fishing World . . . best guys I've ever dealt with . . . second to none!

I understand most Feed stores sell maize in smaller bags nowadays...25 kgs vs the 40 kgs ones and the price has been adjusted accordingly...great for both bait and chumming once it has been boiled for 20 minutes and flavoured with Kool-aide or anise or vanilla or garlic etc...I like to add a handful of brown sugar just 'cause that is the way my mother cooked corn-on-the-cob to sweeten it up...

Crappieperchhunter and I both use forceps (hemostats) to unhook a carp as they are mostly hooked in the lips using a hair-rig...

If your tackle shop doesn't have them try the local pharmacy...

The only flavour of boilies my local tackle shop had last year was tutti-frutti...they worked well along with a couple of pieces of boiled maize on the loop...

I keep them in our spare fridge and they keep well even over winter...

Sounds like the resident carp experts have covered things for you..the only thing I can add......the boilies have worked very well for us (variety of flavours) and really like the hair rig. I carry a pair of needle nose pliers for hook removal, often the hook can be removed easy enough with just your fingers when using the hair rig.

bly

Thank you all. Have already returned the fancy hook remover. Wasn't all that keen on it anyway. Should have trusted my instincts, and taken my friend's advice. Simple is usually the way to go with most things it seems.

Thanks to Photoz, i will soon have my own supply of maize.

learn the knotless hair rig... trust me it's simple, if i can learn it, so can everyone else!!

with the hair rig, you'll never worry about deep hooking a carp again...

i use standard corn from the feedmills... i don't even boil them...

Kudos to all you who tie their own hair rigs!! Photoz says it is simple, but respectfully disagree.

Find starting IV's easier.

Here's few website that can help you tie your own hair rigs. One of these links also has a video link to show you how to tie them.

Anglers.net

Toasted This site has video.

This is my fav work very well.

God Bless

dsn

Edited by dsn

i use standard corn from the feedmills... i don't even boil them...

When using maize (aka cow corn, cattle corn, feed corn), I would recommend that anyone using it at least soak it for a minimum of 24hrs and boiling it for 30-60min. Alternatively, you can soak maize for 72hrs

Maize along with many other particle baits out there (ie. chick peas, black eyed beans, peanuts) have the ability to expand when they take on water. It can be dangerous to use unsoaked/uncooked particles as it can expand inside a carp's stomach, rendering the fish unable to pass it through their digestive system.

Some links on particle bait preparation:

http://www.carp-uk.net/articles/particlebaits.htm

http://www.carp.com/article44.html

http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Messages.asp?TopicID=26850

When using maize (aka cow corn, cattle corn, feed corn), I would recommend that anyone using it at least soak it for a minimum of 24hrs and boiling it for 30-60min. Alternatively, you can soak maize for 72hrs

Maize along with many other particle baits out there (ie. chick peas, black eyed beans, peanuts) have the ability to expand when they take on water. It can be dangerous to use unsoaked/uncooked particles as it can expand inside a carp's stomach, rendering the fish unable to pass it through their digestive system.

Some links on particle bait preparation:

http://www.carp-uk.net/articles/particlebaits.htm

http://www.carp.com/article44.html

http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Messages.asp?TopicID=26850

And there was I waiting to tell yees all about the super secret websites I knew all about. :clapping:

There may be some others will post some over the weeks.

Great work all.

Regards Clive