Lake Erie Friday the 13-th lucky report

icefisherman

Drove to Nanticoke bright and early today. Have never seen so many truck gas tankers before. Pretty much it was me and....them on the road at 3am.

Arrived at the ramp at 5am and launched by 5:30. Fishing by 6am near EA8. At 6:30 first bow in the boat:

Took some pictures but being alone and with the cell phone...

Image004.jpg

Than 30 min a big eye follow him into the boat:

Image006.jpg

Then missed 3 on the row....

It was very hard to keep the wheel straight, keep the right speed, fighting fish and taking pictures. At times I almost got thrown overboard by the huge waves. Lots of white caps.

Bit later this guy came in:

Image005.jpg

Kept miving arround that area. Was planning to get to the Elbow but had no reason to....fishing was great where I was...

Few more boats show up by 7:30am...

Here is the next guy:

Image007.jpg

Now...I've read somewhere recently other talking about this ....kind of fish....sort of bow...sort of salmon...here are few more pictures I took of it including some at home with better camera:

Image009.jpg

IMGA2018.jpg

The head:

IMGA2016.jpg

And next to my last fish of the day:

IMGA2017.jpg

Anyone can tell me what fish was this? Half rainbow/half salmon? ;-)) Looks very pretty.

Hope it tastes the same ;-)

Here is the same bow in the boat:

Image011.jpg

Yep you guessed it....watermelon was the name of the game today...and downriggers...

Started with lead core and rigger and ALL fish came in on the leadcore...I was very surprised as the lead core has done very well for me before.

The moment I put the lead core on the other rigger and set it up with my second watermelon spoon bammm....fish on...

Tried shallow...but no takers...all fish went deep last two days...must be that wind and rapid water temperature change.

All my fish came 40 feet down in 42 to 60 fow.

Speed was 2.2-3.0 mph.

At the end let me say few more "good words" about the weather man....those guys are really getting on my nervs recently...they NEVER seem to get it right....last week every time they said "small craft warning with 30 km/h winds on Lake O. water was like a glass....today they were saying 3-5 km/h winds at LPB....guess what...I almost got blown away...must have been more then 20 km/h from about 8am to 11am when I left. Just checked the past 24 hrs on the weather network,....

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php...cecode=caon0461

Sure enough now they say it was 20 km/h....

They really have NO idea what they are talking about!!!!

And I did check 4-5 different sites...Canadian and US...same story...they were ALL WRONG AGAIN!!!

I am going to stop even looking at the weather sites from now on.

On the way out I stopped by the outflow to see where is that famous bass/perch fishing and saw 4-5 boats pulling a lot of small bass and perch mainly on minnows. Didn't waste time there and headed to the ramp.

On the road back there were bikes EVERYWHERE….THOUSANDS of them for their regular Friday the 13-th at Port Dover thing…It was hard not to run over some of them ;-)

It was great day with tons of action and I'll do it again soon. Maybe to Burwell.

So here is my Erie report and it is big fish/beer BBQ party coming up tonight.

Who said something about luck and Friday the 13-th in the same sentance?

Cheers to all.

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Sweet report Emil. That sure is an interesting fish there. Not sure what it is.

Now if you needed help steering the boat while reeling in and taking pictures, why didn't ya just ask me to come with you? :dunno: I could have called in sick easily :angel:;)

Joey

based on a recent reports/discussion, I believe the fish you are referring to is called a skamania. I followed some links and looked into it a bit, and I would have to believe thats exactly what you caught.

That was and impressive outing, bows, salmon, possibly a skamania, and walleye. Did that walleye come off your riggers?

Joey,

I am always looking for fishing partners to come with me. Better split the gas cost and have a good company. Just that it's hard to combine everyone's schedule on the same day/time. But if you are free sure be my guest ;-)

Chuck,

Any time Bud. Just let me know and we'll do it. I am sure you'll enjoy it ;-)

based on a recent reports/discussion, I believe the fish you are referring to is called a skamania. I followed some links and looked into it a bit, and I would have to believe thats exactly what you caught.

That was and impressive outing, bows, salmon, possibly a skamania, and walleye. Did that walleye come off your riggers?

Tackle Buster,

Yes the eye also came off the riggers. Infact everything yesterday came off the riggers. Including one sheaphead and ....one bass?!?

I don't think it is a skamania... although I'm no expert, I just found out about them last week myself. The head/jaw/gills look like salmon to me. A salmon with an eating disorder.

-Brian

Brian,

looks like opinions are split on this one. I've asked on few other forums and most people say it's Scamania and some say it's a bow/salmon.

The meat is about the same color as the white fish meat though.

Not the pink color the rexst of my bows yesterday had.

So it must be somewhat different I'd say.

Thanks all for the kind words. Erie fishing at Burwell/LPB should only get better for the next month or so.

Planning few more trips that way.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Guest Johnny Bass

Exellant report. Whatever that fish is, it looks like it was built for speed and must have torpedoed throught he water!!!!

Great report! Nicely done with the pics considering you were alone and had to use your cell phone! Some great info in this report as well....too bad I dont have a boat to try it all out on though...LOL.

Thanks for the report...I really enjoyed it....even though I cant help you on the "name that fish" question.