Unknown Battery Drain

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for some insight into a battery drain issue on my boat. I’m experiencing a problem where, about an hour into a day on the water, I get a low battery warning on my Helix 9 unit, but not on my Helix 7. I get the low battery warning only when I start the main motor. Both units, along with my live well pump, bilge pump, and main motor, are powered by the same Group 31 lead-acid battery 225 Res. I've tried turning the brightness down or even putting them on night mode, replacing the battery - which temporarily solved the problem, but it happened again on the second trip with the new battery-, testing the battery with a multi meter - which shows it holds a charge -, a voltage test by keeping the negative end of the multi meter on the negative post and checking each positive lead - all reading were 0 -, checked all fuses which seem to be in order. Not quite sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probably your stock wiring.  My Lund did the same thing until I ran dedicated wires to a distribution box for my finders (Two Helix 12s).   Fixed the problem instantly.  

Edited by BillM
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terry said:

It may be not enough current going to the unit you may need to beef up your wiring 

double check your connections too

I had these units first installed when I got the boat, had the exact same battery. I got a new battery at the beginning of last season (replacing old one due to age)and never had an issue until end of last season. Wouldn’t I had the same issue originally? 

I check battery connections regularly. 

Edited by Musky Plug

13 minutes ago, BillM said:

Probably your stock wiring.  My Lund did the same thing until I ran dedicated wires to a distribution box for my finders (Two Helix 12s).   Fixed the problem instantly.  

The units are wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse. 

I forgot to mention in the original post that a few times when I’ve gone for day trips, my main motor won’t start right way when I turn the key over. It takes a few tries to get it going and makes a sound like it’s not running properly? Also had the batteries charged overnight on the minn kota charger.