Quebec outboard dealers

AKRISONER

Maybe someone here can provide some reasoning or explain what the catch is, if there is one.

im shopping for a new outboard and seemingly the dealers in Quebec are listing outboards for upwards of $3000 less than the Ontario dealers. Anyone have any insight?

also if anyone here works for an outboard dealer and has a 200 in stock shoot me a message

2 hours ago, chessy said:

just a fyi .. If you buy from a dealer far away .. the dealers locally are not obligated to do warranty work on your engine .. they Will force you back to the dealer you bought it from 

A few years back I bought Lund/Mercury package at the Toronto Boat Show. I had gone to the show earlier in the week, but returned on the last day and was able to negotiate a really good deal on a floor model. One of my concerns was, if it ever needed warranty work, that the dealer I was purchasing it from was in SW Ontario, but most of the time I would be keeping it at my place in eastern Ontario. Before pulling the trigger, I walked over to the Mercury display at the show and spoke with one of the factory reps. He assured me that any authorized Mercury dealer in Canada is obligated to perform warranty work for any motor purchased in Canada.

Fortunately, I've never had an issue with the motor. I'm not sure of other mfgr's, but generally the purpose of a dealer network is to provide widespread standardized service for a product. 

Edited by CrowMan

2 hours ago, CrowMan said:

A few years back I bought Lund/Mercury package at the Toronto Boat Show. I had gone to the show earlier in the week, but returned on the last day and was able to negotiate a really good deal on a floor model. One of my concerns was, if it ever needed warranty work, that the dealer I was purchasing it from was in SW Ontario, but most of the time I would be keeping it at my place in eastern Ontario. Before pulling the trigger, I walked over to the Mercury display at the show and spoke with one of the factory reps. He assured me that any authorized Mercury dealer in Canada is obligated to perform warranty work for any motor purchased in Canada.

Fortunately, I've never had an issue with the motor. I'm not sure of other mfgr's, but generally the purpose of a dealer network is to provide widespread standardized service for a product. 

I have a 2021 Lund boat and I can assure you that mercury will not force their dealers to authorize fixing any motor they did not sell.  as a mater of fact the dealer 5 min from house who does not sell Lund but does mercury laughed at me on the phone ... 

1 hour ago, chessy said:

I have a 2021 Lund boat and I can assure you that mercury will not force their dealers to authorize fixing any motor they did not sell.  as a mater of fact the dealer 5 min from house who does not sell Lund but does mercury laughed at me on the phone ... 

Maybe I was mis-informed by the factory rep, or I'm missing the fine print...but a quick search comes up with this:

Screenshot_20240723_155242_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240723_154508_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240723_154757_Chrome.jpg

Yes  me to  but I called mercury in USA  after my carb failed  I had bought my boat in Sudbury I live in or near port hope  bay marine said no  deer haven said if it does not come on the back of one of our prince craft boats we don’t work on it  2 others dealers said  maybe we will fix it but you go to back of line and if we work on it and one of ours comes in yours gets put aside  your looking at 8 months     So I drove to Orangeville to a dealer   Up back 12 times to have fixed  I had 4 brand new carbarators put on my 9.9 kicker all failed with in 3 days of using pouring tons of gas’s in lake  finally they found they had a facing issue with carbs   I was in contact with merc and told them if I could cross boarder I would throw the thing through there window  ( covid period )   And was told by them lots of time they don’t have to work on motors they don’t sell as warranty work is less then non warranty work and they off set it with price of boat and motor I see what is written   Do yourself a favour and call them   You will be surprised  

11 hours ago, chessy said:

Yes  me to  but I called mercury in USA  after my carb failed  I had bought my boat in Sudbury I live in or near port hope  bay marine said no  deer haven said if it does not come on the back of one of our prince craft boats we don’t work on it  2 others dealers said  maybe we will fix it but you go to back of line and if we work on it and one of ours comes in yours gets put aside  your looking at 8 months     So I drove to Orangeville to a dealer   Up back 12 times to have fixed  I had 4 brand new carbarators put on my 9.9 kicker all failed with in 3 days of using pouring tons of gas’s in lake  finally they found they had a facing issue with carbs   I was in contact with merc and told them if I could cross boarder I would throw the thing through there window  ( covid period )   And was told by them lots of time they don’t have to work on motors they don’t sell as warranty work is less then non warranty work and they off set it with price of boat and motor I see what is written   Do yourself a favour and call them   You will be surprised  

That's brutal. You would think the factory would do more to enforce the warranty policy with their dealers. Afterall, corporate holds the hammer (loss of dealer status) and they have to pay out regardless.

this seems really wild to me as well. I do get that a dealer is going to give preferential treatment to their own customers especially if they recently sold them an outboard and its having issues, it can look bad on the dealer, however to outright reject fixing your merc is strange. Considering my experiences dealing with the likes of Payne, and desmasdons in pointe au baril, they never seemed to care where I got my yamaha from, they were happy to work on it. Either way they get paid, either by you or by the manufacturer for the work that they do.

49 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

this seems really wild to me as well. I do get that a dealer is going to give preferential treatment to their own customers especially if they recently sold them an outboard and its having issues, it can look bad on the dealer, however to outright reject fixing your merc is strange. Considering my experiences dealing with the likes of Payne, and desmasdons in pointe au baril, they never seemed to care where I got my yamaha from, they were happy to work on it. Either way they get paid, either by you or by the manufacturer for the work that they do.

I can only comment on what I was told. by many dealers in my area..  deer haven and bay marine. and 2 on rice lake area.. this was in 2021  I would make sure and call merc directly and get it in writing them them .. tell them your from canada 

2 hours ago, chessy said:

I can only comment on what I was told. by many dealers in my area..  deer haven and bay marine. and 2 on rice lake area.. this was in 2021  I would make sure and call merc directly and get it in writing them them .. tell them your from canada 

Maybe I'm missing something, but are Deer Haven and Bay Marine Authorized Mercury Dealers ? 

Screenshot_20240724_102006_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

If you click on visit website for Bay Marine on that link they don't show it as a a merc dealer like Crowman posted. Someone screwed up.

I still have the site on my favorite bar as I used it looking for dealers.. and I went down the list of dealers...  

39 minutes ago, chessy said:

I still have the site on my favorite bar as I used it looking for dealers.. and I went down the list of dealers...  

So I just talked to them and they are a Mercury dealer for sure but they were not aware that it wasn't listed anywhere on their website so he will inform the boss and get that rectified.

• Like 1