More slab crappie.

Hi all,

got out for my fix yesterday, chilly morning for a change so set the shack up and was nice and warm. With the lack of snow this year it’s kinda fun to drive the truck out to your spots. Fish were plentiful but picky but got a limit of nice size ones.

1 minute ago, TJQ said:

Hard to believe, but Ive never caught one.. or ate one..

Huh…. I’d  definitely thought you’d have caught some. They are addictive, it’s just fun to watch them on the screen, and they taste pretty good too. I was liking them more than walleye to eat for a while but I’m back to liking walleye better.

4 minutes ago, tender52 said:

One of my top 3 fish to eat. Crappie B.L.T sammiches..... :thumbsup_anim:. OMG you got to try one.

Already tried that…. Here’s my versions, one on dark rye with home made onion rings and one with avocado too and some homemade kettle chips.5.jpeg.06c933860928be2c0eccd5b566590fd8.jpegIMG_7810.jpeg.73ca3a68fa5ae9d1d7905790ce2ddb9a.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limeyangler said:

Huh…. I’d  definitely thought you’d have caught some. They are addictive, it’s just fun to watch them on the screen, and they taste pretty good too. I was liking them more than walleye to eat for a while but I’m back to liking walleye better.

Ive honestly never fished where they are available, thats usually south of me a bit...  Ive caught enough sunfish.. but not big enough to eat.

26 minutes ago, TJQ said:

Ive honestly never fished where they are available, thats usually south of me a bit...  Ive caught enough sunfish.. but not big enough to eat.

It's odd how species are distributed in the province. Limey Angler is well north of you, and there's plenty of lakes in NW Ontario with ample populations...but in southern Ontario it's hard to find them north of Parry Sound (except maybe Georgian Bay). On my lake in eastern Ontario, 15 years ago no one even knew what a Crappie looked like....now we can catch buckets of slabs.

We like ' em in fish tacos...

IMG_20210711_211046.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

It's odd how species are distributed in the province. Limey Angler is well north of you, and there's plenty of lakes in NW Ontario with ample populations...but in southern Ontario it's hard to find them north of Parry Sound (except maybe Georgian Bay). On my lake in eastern Ontario, 15 years ago no one even knew what a Crappie looked like....now we can catch buckets of slabs.

We like ' em in fish tacos...

IMG_20210711_211046.jpg

We caught tons of them when we used to visit Erieau 10 years ago